Spring Food plots, getting ready.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    I would just go buy a 50 pound bag of Iron Clay Peas and reseed on top of what you already planted. If you got germination now, I dont think I would disc it up.
    I reseeded over the top but didn’t drag or disk. Another plot I planted I did a drag with a cattle panel to smooth and cover. We got a heavy rain and I noticed a lot of seeds were sitting on top now. Curious if all the seeds on top of soil will germinate with all the rain falling without actually being buried in the soil?

Comment

Planted yesterday

2 acres of:

Cowpea (Ace) 20%
      Cowpea (Red Ripper) 16%
      Lab Lab (Rongai) 15%
      Cowpea (Iron & Clay) 12%
      Orka (Clemson) 12%
      Soybean 10%
      Buckwheat 5%
      Chicory 5%
      Sunn Hemp 5%

Hope to get some rain tomorrow. First time planting, Im sure I screwed up something.

Comment

They will sprout, unless the birds find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          They will sprout, unless the birds find them.
          I haven’t figured out a drag just yet and haven’t convinced myself to buy a cultipacker. I hope to get out and get seed in the ground this weekend. I disced this past weekend and then drug it with a cut telephone pole to smooth things out and pack the soil a bit. My plan this weekend is to go in and lightly disc one pass to scratch the soil. Then spread seed/fertilizer. What would be a good method to cover seed? Drag harrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
            I haven’t figured out a drag just yet and haven’t convinced myself to buy a cultipacker. I hope to get out and get seed in the ground this weekend. I disced this past weekend and then drug it with a cut telephone pole to smooth things out and pack the soil a bit. My plan this weekend is to go in and lightly disc one pass to scratch the soil. Then spread seed/fertilizer. What would be a good method to cover seed? Drag harrow?
            I drug it with a pallet my lime and fertilizer came on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
              Cut down a tree beside your plot and use it to drag. I’ve done that a bunch of times if nothing is handy.

Comment

Sleepy a old chain link fence works perfect with some tires chained to the top of the fence.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Spring Food plots, getting ready.

I used cattle panels and they worked okay, but didnt really cover the larger seeds as well as id a liked.

I planted a week and a half ago and finally saw some sprouts yesterday. My seeds didnt cover up as well as id a liked though and the doves have been absolutely hammering my plots. I hope enough seed made it for a decent stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Chain link fence or drag harrow works real good. I have covered seed up with my disc before, just set the gangs straight.

Comment

I usually cover with the disc and drop it just enough to toss the soil a little. On the reseed I didn't want to take a chance screwing up my initial planting. We will see, lots of rain today again so hopefully what ever is left will sprout soon. Good start to the spring.

Comment

Farm currently getting some rain. Hope to see results in a few weeks.

Comment

Cowpeas are looking pretty good. Everything is coming up, but they have progressed the most. Hoping rain tonight will help everything come on even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was late to the party, but finally got some seed in the ground yesterday. Supposed to get a good rain tonight.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Whew hew! I got my beans today! Rain tonight, planting tomorrow.

Comment

Got a little over 3" of rain today, I will be out Friday afternoon to check my plots.

Comment

Working...
                                X