Jackson Hole, Grand Teton, Yellowstone Area Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackson Hole, Grand Teton, Yellowstone Area Vacation

My family is looking at doing a vacation next summer in the above area but we know very little about it. We would like to see the popular places while we are there including Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Etc...

From looking at a map we are thinking the Jackson and surrounding areas might be a good place to rent a house.

For people that have been, what is a good area to stay in?

We would like to be able to rent a house (not a hotel), have great scenery from the house, not be too far from restaurants, groceries, and shops.

Yellowstone is a tough day trip from Jackson. Hour to the south gate, another hour nearly to anything you want to see. Even more to the north side. Plan an overnight at least in the park. Jackson is a fun town. Pinky Gs pizza, local, and the merry piglets are great places to eat. When we go back, I'll do a couple nights in town and see the tetons, few nights close to Yellowstone.

Comment

I can provide a lot more details if you would like - but here is a quick summary - Flew into Jackson which I highly recommend. Only airport in a National Park and views are great on the way in. Stayed in Jackson for 3 nights. Walk to town, good eats, mini trips to GTNP. We also did a day at the Jackson Hole Resort. They have a lot of activities in the Summer. Mormon row, Jenny Lake, etc in GTNP. Then made the trip to Yellowstone. Left early and came up through the South entrance. We stayed outside of the West entrance on the Madison River. 30 minutes outside of the entrance. Went back to the park 2 days, fly fishing float trip one day, horse back riding one day, white water trip one day, hiking trip one day, a down day just fishing the Madison and then back home. West Yellowstone is small. Not a lot to do in town. Basically picked the house based on it being on the Madison. The unexpected perk of the place we stayed at, was it was walking distance to the Grizzly Bar and Grill which had great food and drinks.

Rereading your post - I would split the trip in two places - Jackson/Wilson/Jackson Hole resort and then somewhere closer to Yellowstone. I would also be prepared for some drive time up there. A lot of the things we did were from 30mins to 1.5hrs from the house. PM if you want any more details. I probably have who we used for our excursions somewhere.

Comment

We have done both Jackson and North Yellowstone. We did it in two separate trips. A week at each there is plenty to see so you want time to see everything not just the highlights. I recommend both just depends on what your interest are.

Comment

Working...
        X