Building a Pool Do’s and Dont’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are going to break ground on our new pool in 2-3 weeks.

I have a few questions if any of you guys have any “Do’s or Dont’s” any help would be much appreciated!

Details: 35’x15’ rectangle pretty basic.
    The pool will have a sun deck on one end with steps and a place to lay out in shallow water.

-Should add the hot tub for another 10k?

-Best safety system for kids protection?
    (Addition tamper fence, water monitors?)

-Add sleeves around pool deck to move Umbrellas around for shade?

-The pool will be 22’ from the back door to the pool. Should we move it further away from house?

-What’s the best surface for bottom of pool. Something not to rough on feet.

-Pool decking will be “cool decking” if anyone knows something cooler in the Texas sun.

As I mention any help would be much appreciated. I’ve attached a very rough sketch for reference. Notice the N. T. S. (Not to scale)

Thank you all in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stools in the water to sit and relax next to a bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Variable speed pump, sleeves for umbrellas for umbrellas and volleyball/basketball. That pool is going to stay warm

Comment

DO call your insurance company first.
        Last edited by Ungawa; 08-23-2020, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Out side bathroom if you do a lot of entertaining are have a lot of kids coming over. Kids never dry off good before entering your house to use the bathroom.

Comment

Do pay for Pebble Tek

Comment

If you have a sprinkler system and an available circuit run a line to the pool to add water.

Comment

Don't go with a dark bottom sports depth as August water temps are like 90 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Make friends with neighbors who have a pool already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you ever think you want a covered deck between the house and the pool, move the pool further out

Jacuzzi/hot tub is nice to look at if it’s on the far end of the pool, but you’re more likely to get in it if it’s close to the back/bedroom door

WiFi pool controls is nice, but make sure to ask for how much one of the replacement colored smart light bulbs is.... Lordy!

Dark blue plaster looks nice but it absorbs heat, making the pool hotter in the summer

Water features like waterfalls, fountains, and fire features will get used maybe 2x a year for parties. Otherwise they are a waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by killbirds View Post
                      We are going to break ground on our new pool in 2-3 weeks.

I have a few questions if any of you guys have any “Do’s or Dont’s” any help would be much appreciated!

Details: 35’x15’ rectangle pretty basic.
                      The pool will have a sun deck on one end with steps and a place to lay out in shallow water.

-Should add the hot tub for another 10k?

-Best safety system for kids protection?
                      (Addition tamper fence, water monitors?)

-Add sleeves around pool deck to move Umbrellas around for shade?

-The pool will be 22’ from the back door to the pool. Should we move it further away from house?

-What’s the best surface for bottom of pool. Something not to rough on feet.

-Pool decking will be “cool decking” if anyone knows something cooler in the Texas sun.

As I mention any help would be much appreciated. I’ve attached a very rough sketch for reference. Notice the N. T. S. (Not to scale)

Thank you all in advance!

* You will get year round use of your investment if you add a hot tub plus it can give a little water feature by making a spillway into the pool.

* Best safety investment for your will be swimming lessons. After that whatever your city or insurance company requires.

* Place lots of sleeves for umbrellas.

* We used micro fusion. Not too tough on your feet but does provide some grip.

* I’m not familiar with the cool decking product. We went with stamped concrete and it is bearable even in the middle of the day. Depending on cost I would not invest in a potential gimmick for your decking.

* Make sure you have a way to get some lighting on/around the pool deck.

* Make sure to get an auto fill on it.

Looks like you are going to have a general party pool no more than 5’ or so deep. You might consider investing in a pool cooler (either heat exchanger or chiller style) as it will get warm in the summer. Our pool is similar in size with an 8’ deep
                      end and it will get over 90° on extended hot days and it only sees about 6 hours per day of direct sunlight.

Comment

We just had a couple of bids on a pool with a hot tub. Both bids put the hotub at about $10K as you stated.
                        As stated swimming lessons for a a safety net.
                        Outside bathroom.
                        What Mike D said on all accounts.

Comment

Don't make your pool square you'll have trash and dirt in the corners the Polaris won't pick up and the sun deck will keep trash, leaves etc on it all the time.

Comment

Trail boss

Comment

Few things -
                              - Hot tub is worth it for most people. It can be used year-around and is not expensive to heat up, even in the winter. Also, very relaxing for adults. Pool season really is only 5-6 months; at least for water over 80 degrees.

- Pebble tek is worth the cost

- Possibly look into a water feature or pool cooler to help keep the pool cooler in the late summer months

- Our neighbors have one of those standard in-ground pool safety fences. for the money (I think they spent around $200), it does the job; at least for toddlers. With that said, I'd second the motion on swimming lessons for the kiddos. If it's neighborhood kids, not sure what else you could do other than 6 foot privacy fence and locked gate.

Comment

Working...
                              X