2020 Chicken Raising Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
    I've got a raccoon stalking my flock, and between that and an owl (prior to installing a net) I'm down to 5 after starting with 11. On that note, does anyone have some pullets or layers they'd be willing to sell and within 45 min drive from Sanger?
    We might have a few laying hens to sell. We are in krum.

Comment

I’ve got a raccoon snooping too. I’ve popped it the head a few times with the pellet gun but the booger isn’t getting the message. I think it may be sick and a 2x4 over the head is next. Residential hood so the .22 isn’t an option. Every time I pop it it just stares at me, barely flinching. I’m gonna have to go
      Rambo here soon.

Comment

Has anyone introduced the water nipple things to their GROWN chickens? We have a rooster that keeps spilling the water thus running through a bucket a day almost. My solution is get rid of the rooster but wife aint down for that. I have mentioned the watering nipple deals but shes convinced they wont 'learn' to drink from them since our birds have been with us for several years.

Comment

They'll figure it out. If you fill it up and show one hen by letting water flow from it, the rest will catch on and even line up to give it a try. Being curious, they learn quickly. Mine were 2 yrs old and took to it immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Has anyone introduced the water nipple things to their GROWN chickens? We have a rooster that keeps spilling the water thus running through a bucket a day almost. My solution is get rid of the rooster but wife aint down for that. I have mentioned the watering nipple deals but shes convinced they wont 'learn' to drink from them since our birds have been with us for several years.
            We built this and our grown chickens figured it out in a few hours.

Comment

Thanks gents
              Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
              We built this and our grown chickens figured it out in a few hours.
              https://youtu.be/Vxve-FnAP18
              That's the set up I was thinking about. What's the fitting you had trouble finding?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

They make cups too that screw in and they can just drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The piece that goes through the wall of the bucket and has a thread and not to hold it in place.
                  I needed up getting it at Tractor Supply.

Comment

Theres a company called rentacoop online that sells some watering cups that are the best I've found so far. They dont use the little float inside the chickens have to touch to make water come out. They use the weight if the water to open and close the valve. Mine have been put through the ringer with close to 30 chickens plus 2 turkeys using them for about 6 months now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone plant a winter foraging garden for the chickens and if so what do you plant? Trying to think of what I can plant soon and have something for them to eat during the winter.

Comment

We just got some baby chicks 8 of them one of them broke its neck and we don’t know how! First time owning some chick but so far love it!!

Anthony,

Your one with a broken neck might have crooked neck. Supposed to come from a vitamin deficiency. I have one with it right now. As long as they don't get picked on and they can still eat, it usually improves and they get back to normal in a few weeks.

Comment

Had two eggs laid last week that were bigger than the ones we have been getting and ate them for lunch today and they were both double yolks [emoji239][emoji1639]

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                            Had two eggs laid last week that were bigger than the ones we have been getting and ate them for lunch today and they were both double yolks [emoji239][emoji1639]

That's awesome!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

So my wife bought some baby chickens from Tractor Supply. We have had them now for about a month or so and they have started to develop a red score on top of their beak. It kind of resembles a wart but red. She is all worried now because her mom had some chicks that had some disease and their beaks rotted off. Anyone know what this could be or what they can be treated with?

I have pictures I can text if someone thinks they can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                                So my wife bought some baby chickens from Tractor Supply. We have had them now for about a month or so and they have started to develop a red score on top of their beak. It kind of resembles a wart but red. She is all worried now because her mom had some chicks that had some disease and their beaks rotted off. Anyone know what this could be or what they can be treated with?

I have pictures I can text if someone thinks they can help.
                                Sure its not just their combs starting to come in?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X