Suppressor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppressor question

How do you evaluate a suppressor? Is it % dB reduction or absolute dB to the ear? Looking at my NRA magazine this month, they showed a suppressor on a 300 Win Mag that took the decibels from 150ish to 130-ish. That didn't seem like enough of a reduction to make a huge difference. Having a suppressor might make my rifles more tolerable to my grandchildren.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Honestly it should be at shooters ear. But a suppressor does more than make it quieter, the reduction in recoil, and flash is worth it

Comment

Too many variables in my opinion with test like that. I have no idea what the DB of my 300wm is with my SiCO omega but recoil and noise is substantially reduced.

Comment

I just need it to be hearing safe. Not too heavy and not too long.

My specwar is too heavy but it’s for extremely heavy firing.

My harvester is long but it’s very light. Won’t handle SBRs or heavy firing.

My nomad is light and short.

I have a nomad Ti pending that might be the perfect hunting rifle can. Extremely light. Quiet. Short.

All are very quiet for what I’m shooting and all are hearing safe on big magnums.

I don’t use anything but direct thread except on my specwar. It lives on 2 SBRs. And I’ve had it glowing cherry red on an M16 haha. Not running DT on machine guns.

They reduce recoil but won’t touch the recoil reduction of a good muzzle brake.

I too agree on the too many variables to reliably trust everyone’s numbers.
        Last edited by trophy8; 09-27-2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

The (discontinued) Specwar Ks were really nice: shorter and could handle full-auto fire, if needed. Decibels are not measured in a "linear" fashion. Most "hearing safe" 5.56 suppressors are still as loud as a .22.

Comment

20-30 dB is the average amount of reduction.

That takes a rifle that will ring your ears down to 22/22 mag sounds; even the magnums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Have to remember that dBs and logarithmic and the larger the number louder it is. 20-30 dB reduction is huge in terms of hearing safety. I shot my 6.5prc around 20 times suppressed without ears. without a suppressor my ears would have been ringing after shot 1. Recoil reduction is a plus but length is a big negative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. Might make sense to buy a threaded 18-20" 7mm-08 rifle and get a suppressor for it. Would using the 7mm suppressor on my 6.5prc be effective?

Comment

Or a 6.5 Creedmoor with low recoil. Could use the suppressor on my 6.5 PRC no problem, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                    Or a 6.5 Creedmoor with low recoil. Could use the suppressor on my 6.5 PRC no problem, correct?

Get a 30 cal can and you will be able to use it on any centerfire rifle that’s .30 cal and below.

Comment

I've got two cans both near the top of their class for "rated" decibel reductions. On handguns through moderate calibers they are very comfortable to shoot unsuppressed. As you climb the velocity/grain size, they get louder and louder, even suppressed. I'm not a fan, for example, of any SBR high-velocity weapon suppressed unless it is just a round or two. If I'm plinking away, I still want something moderate in terms of hearing protection. The impulse is very short, but it still bothers me as it moves beyond 125+ decibels. This pretty much limits me to subsonic rounds. Note that anything subsonic will be quiet until you get into the "big stuff". Even a supressed .458 socom is still north of 130 which, to me, is uncomfortable to shoot more than 3 or 4 rounds.

My suggestion would be to test one out before you shoot it. Some of the can-sellers have ranges that they will bring the toys to and let you try it on your rifle.

For me, I shoot .22lr subs, 45ACP (subs by default), 9MM 147 grain (subs), 300BO subs. That's it even though my cans are rated for 7.62 supersonic, it's just not something I enjoy.

Comment

Don’t trust any MFGs advertised numbers. Usually they’re doing everything they can to make them work in their favor such as lighter ammo, longer barrels, mic placement, and very few have meters capable of capturing the peak decibels. 3rd party reps can give you the most accurate portrayal usually, as they will test multiple cans in identical or very similar conditions.

My priorities are below in this order.
                        1. Weight
                        2. Length
                        3. Mounting system
                        4. Durability (materials & craftsmanship)
                        5. Reduction

Comment

110db-120db is not the same between 160-150bd. As the decibels go up the strength is compounded. So what seems is only 150db down to 135db is actually a huge difference.

Comment

go suppressed so worth it me and my dad shoot alot of pigs standing right next to each other no ringing ears! you wont be able to go back

Comment

OP, huge difference. As others mentioned, it logarithmic. 10x change per db. Also reduces recoil. Love mine. Low recoil ammo and double hearing protection make shooting fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X