Ruger mini-14/30 user experiences please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger mini-14/30 user experiences please

I am trying to decide on a paper puncher/pig and I have always appreciated the aesthetics of the mini-14/30.

I am curious of peoples real world impressions so I can judge those against hype/complaints.

Thanks

I had one. Bought it about 18 years ago or so. Had it for a couple years and sold it. It was a fun rifle, but I couldn’t get the accuracy out of it that I wanted. Mine was a 2-3 inch rifle. I wanted better than that.

I never had any functionality problems. It always ran good. Fit and finish was good.

Comment

Mini 14 = Great gun

Mini 30 = trash unless you want to buy BRASS 7.62x39.. and nobody wants to buy that in brass.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

My experience is with the older model. I have a 181 series which look as cool as heck but was a spray and pray gun. Not accurate at all. I kept it because it was the gun from the A-Team. The folding stock stainless model.
        I have read that the new Mini14s. The ones with what looks like a huge comp or weight on the end are shooters.
        I would build a upgraded AR for the same price you would spend on a mini.

Comment

I love the 14/30 well made gun for the money. They are not tack drivers 1 to 2 inch groups at 100.And as mentioned above they prefer brass. They are a fun decent A-Team gun.

Comment

If you already own an AR. Get a mini. If not, buy an AR first. Never can have too many guns.

Comment

Originally posted by LOC4L View Post
              I am trying to decide on a paper puncher/pig and I have always appreciated the aesthetics of the mini-14/30.

I am curious of peoples real world impressions so I can judge those against hype/complaints.

Thanks
              Didn't like it and another hunting mate couldn't get his to be reliable either.. AR15, AR10, lever 30-30 or a bolt action 308 are the way to go

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

I will say the Ranch Rifle is much more accurate and the same platform

Michael

Comment

Great pig gun I would think. Mini-14 was my first gun, still have it. Definitely can’t hold a candle to a bolt action, but accurate enough.

Comment

They are fun to shoot. You will hit a hog with them somewhere

Comment

Scoped Stainless Ranch Rifle would be my 1st choice for hunting out to 200 yards. I've found they run pretty darn good on just about anything its fed. But a quick 200 rounds will heat'em up a good bit.

Comment

I had a stainless synthetic model back between 05ish. It was an older model but don’t know year.

Was definitely not a bench gun, but seemed to kill everything I ever shot at with it. Jackrabbits, coyotes, and pigs.

Comment

I love my mini 30 for what it is. When just varmint/hog hunting within 100 yards, it is great - much better knock down than a .223.
                          I re-did mine with an aftermarket stock, sight, etc.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I had a stainless one about 20 years ago and it fun to shoot but not accurate at all. 3-4 inches group was the best I ever got out of it.

Comment

Mini 14 was the first gun I purchased with my own money at 16. It’s ridden in my truck with me since then. Perfect truck gun. Shoulders way more instinctively than an AR for me. It’s a hog/coyote killer at ranges under 100 yards with open sights. That’s it’s sweet spot in my opinion. I wouldn’t burden a carbine like it is with an optic.

Comment

Working...
                              X