removing / killing small cedar trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought 10 acres where the previous owner cleared "ALL" of the cedar. I would liked to had had some as a privacy barrier, but oh well.

Some cedars have started to re apear. they are about 12-18" high.

Could I just spray them with something or use loppers as I come across them. Alot of the cedars are under oak trees.

I usually use loppers and cut them off at the ground. A bunch of them are under the oak trees because the birds eat the seeds and poop them out under the trees. I see the same thing at my place

Comment

If it's just a few cedar then loppers. I plan to use poison under big oaks so I can kill persimmon trees at the same time since persimmon grow back if lopped.

Poison costs $$ and it isn't much quicker.

Comment

If you would’ve liked to have some cedar...why you removing the cedar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Depending on which species of juniper it is, when you lop it it will be gone for good. Just make sure you get all the green. I lop the small stuff & chainsaw the bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
            If you would’ve liked to have some cedar...why you removing the cedar?

cause the stuff that is coming back is in the middle where the house and yard area will be.

where it is coming back around perimeter, I will leave alone

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
              cause the stuff that is coming back is in the middle where the house and yard area will be.

where it is coming back around perimeter, I will leave alone

Aww, gotcha. Loppers work great, went to war with many a cedar with a good set of loppers

Last edited by Backwoods101; 08-07-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

As long as you cut it off below the first branch, it shouldn't come back.

Comment

i'd be cutting a tad bit below ground level.

Comment

Cut it, spray it, shred it, whatever you gotta do to kill it. I hate a cedar tree. Plant something that is beneficial for cover. Plenty of shrubs that will flourish in the area that provide a good browse. Cedar has no benefit

Comment

I kinda agree with glen, with the exception of thermal cover, but then only when they are low to the ground. When they get to where you can see under them, that benefit is gone.

Comment

Kill ever cedar you can and put in Sumac and greenbrier for barrier. Deer love both of them. I don’t like greenbrier because it tangles my feet but deer and wildlife will thrive if that is what you are after. Cedars only use is burning hot and and spreading wildfires

Comment

I am looking at planting stuff where I want it, but ain't gonna go kill cedar on the fringes. Will go out there this weekend and do some cutting and running the tractor.
                          Road into property is overgrown with weeds. Figure the rippers in the box blade will up root things nicely.

Comment

You can always shred small cedars.

Comment

When I get my shredder out there, I'll do some cutting.

Comment

Working...
                              X