Fishing Lake Travis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing Lake Travis

Gonna go down for the weekend from Ft Worth. Is it worth hauling the boat down there? Gonna be staying on the lake in Lago Vista. Usually fish for anything that will bite, so open to anything.

Travis is definitely worth hauling the boat imo. Tons of blacks whites crappies and cats. Plenty of lighted docks and marinas to fish at night and you can flat wear them out. What oart of the lake are you going to be staying on?

Comment

Here is the current report. . .

May 27, 2020
      EXCELLENT. Water clear 78 degrees; 8.94’ low. Largemouth bass are excellent fishing in 5-15’ with wacky worms, topwater (early), and square billed crankbaits. Plastic frogs are effective in grass beds and lily pads. White bass are excellent with jigs, crankbaits, and slabs working main lake points and humps. Crappie are good on minnows and jigs in 10-18’. Catfish are good on cut bait and prepared baits in 5-15.

My son has been wearing out the spotted gar too. :-) He loves catching them in the shallows.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
        Travis is definitely worth hauling the boat imo. Tons of blacks whites crappies and cats. Plenty of lighted docks and marinas to fish at night and you can flat wear them out. What oart of the lake are you going to be staying on?
        In Lago Vista, really close the the marker on the map.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          Here is the current report. . .

May 27, 2020
          EXCELLENT. Water clear 78 degrees; 8.94’ low. Largemouth bass are excellent fishing in 5-15’ with wacky worms, topwater (early), and square billed crankbaits. Plastic frogs are effective in grass beds and lily pads. White bass are excellent with jigs, crankbaits, and slabs working main lake points and humps. Crappie are good on minnows and jigs in 10-18’. Catfish are good on cut bait and prepared baits in 5-15.

My son has been wearing out the spotted gar too. :-) He loves catching them in the shallows.
          Is that your report or the Texas report? Those Texas ones are horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
            Is that your report or the Texas report? Those Texas ones are horrible.
            From TPWD. However, my personal report mirrors it. Have been going about three times a week with my ten and twelve year old kids. They did leave out spotted gar. :-) Seriously, my son loves catching them.

Comment

In Lago Vista, really close the the marker on the map.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              Great area of the lake to be on. Love fishing around briarcliff

Comment

Travis is a great lake to fish loaded with all kinds of fish. No obstruction or under water dangers to worry about. However, go out early or late because the pleasure boaters with those darn wake boats will be all over the place while you're trying to fish. In the Lago Vista area you are about mid - lake. Going up or down from there can be good, I prefer to go up(away from Mansfield dam) and stay away from those big ***** boats. Good luck and keep eyes open the scenery is very nice out there! wink wink.

Comment

Well, looks like I'll be hauling the boat with me then. Any recommendations on lures? It's a deep lake right? Probly won't be chunking squarebills at boat docks I guess.

Comment

I live pretty much directly across the lake from where you will be staying. LT is definitely more of a quality lake vs. quantity, when it comes to bass fishing. I throw a square bill, smoke/glitter grub or Rebel Pop-R 99% of the time, and we always catch fish. Fish are, for the most part, in the post spawn pattern, catching more fish deep than shallow. The exception has been the early/late top water bit, which has come on strong.

Check out AC's past reports for intel: http://northshorebeacon.com/index110.htm

We do well with the blues on juts baited with beef liver as well. If you bring the boat, you can also anchor up in cow creek and bail into the water. Great place to drink some cold ones. Make sure to hit up DeeDees's Tacos in Lago, before you hit the water.

If you have questions, shoot me a PM.
                    Last edited by simek; 05-29-2020, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                      I live pretty much directly across the lake from where you will be staying. LT is definitely more of a quality lake vs. quantity, when it comes to bass fishing. I throw a square bill, smoke/glitter grub or Rebel Pop-R 99% of the time, and we always catch fish. Fish are, for the most part, in the post spawn pattern, catching more fish deep than shallow. The exception has been the early/late top water bit, which has come on strong.

Check out AC's past reports for intel: http://northshorebeacon.com/index110.htm

We do well with the blues on juts baited with beef liver as well. If you bring the boat, you can also anchor up in cow creek and bail into the water. Great place to drink some cold ones. Make sure to hit up DeeDees's Tacos in Lago, before you hit the water.

If you have questions, shoot me a PM.
                      Very good info from Simek. We wore them out on square bills the first 2 hours of the morning a week or so ago. Shad were up on the points and the fish had the pinned up tight against the bank.

Deep crystal clear water out there on travis and you will see depths over 100ft on the depth finder.
                      Some very nice yella cats and blues if you like to set trot lines and jugs.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                        Very good info from Simek. We wore them out on square bills the first 2 hours of the morning a week or so ago. Shad were up on the points and the fish had the pinned up tight against the bank.

Deep crystal clear water out there on travis and you will see depths over 100ft on the depth finder.
                        Some very nice yella cats and blues if you like to set trot lines and jugs.
                        I have some jugs made up, how deep are yall fishing them

Comment

Well, looks like I'll be hauling the boat with me then. Any recommendations on lures? It's a deep lake right? Probly won't be chunking squarebills at boat docks I guess.
                          Most of the boat ramps are closed. I would check with Travis County as to what ones they have opened if any. Most everyone is launching out of Jonestown on the north side of the lake and the line can be long. This was as of last weekend and I haven't heard that anything has changed.

Comment

I anchor my jugs in about 30', with hooks at 10' and 20'.

LCRA ramps are open 24/7. The closest to you is Gloster Bend. There are probably some private launches open in Lago. Just ask around.

IMHO, the fishing gets progressively tougher (for bass) once you get west of Muleshoe Bend. I'd stay east of that. area.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                              I anchor my jugs in about 30', with hooks at 10' and 20'.

LCRA ramps are open 24/7. The closest to you is Gloster Bend. There are probably some private launches open in Lago. Just ask around.

IMHO, the fishing gets progressively tougher (for bass) once you get west of Muleshoe Bend. I'd stay east of that. area.
                              Yea almost all lcra ramps are open now and we launched at gloster the other weekend. Dink Pearson should be open as well but theres no ramp you just launch off the side of the bank.

You want to see the size of blues travis has to offer go eat at the gnarly gar if its open right now. The catfish that come up for the french fries are unreal! Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X