Miracle On Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle On Ice

Setting here watching the movie Miracle, for about the 200th time. I’m a little bit obsessed with the whole story, the players, the political times, and Herb Brooks style.

I’m not old enough to remember it, but I’m curious what some of you guys older than me remember about it? Also curious about personal stories you may have about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched it in the Ponderosa Lodge in Red River, NM. We were on a church youth group snow skiing trip. I was a freshman in high school. I'd been skiing all day with a girl that was a cheerleader and a senior. Got to sit next to her and watch the hockey game. It was a good day.

The game was pretty good too.

She pretty much forgot who I was when we got back to Texas.

Comment

First and last hockey game I watched. It was awesome beating Russia, but hockey sucks.

Comment

I watched it for the first time. I remember that game like it was yesterday. Had no idea what hockey was before those winter Olympic games started. Neither did my dad but we watched every game together. I remember my mom being in the hospital for a game or two.

I was 11.

Greatest moment in American sports history.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 02-23-2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

usa! usa! usa! whole world was watching!!!!

Comment

I remember watching it. I was only 11 but remember it being portrayed as something impossible.

Comment

I was 16 and playing in 2 hockey leagues at the time. USA was an amateur team playing against the full time “amateur” professional Russian team

To this day there has never been a greater moment in sports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was 9 years old and I remember watching TV when they showed the score 4-3 with 10:00 minutes left. I went crazy and my dad told me there is still a lot of time left in the game. I don’t remember seeing any updates after that and watched the game when they showed it on TV. After the US won me and other kids in the neighborhood put on our roller skates and used sticks and plastic milk jugs to play hockey. We played hockey that way for the next several weeks. “Do you believe in miracles?” Will always be an awesome child hood memory

Comment

Ha! My wife and I just finished watching it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't think that Brook's training program was extreme. That's the way it was done back then. Our football team at Longview went through "boot camp" during off season. Coach was an ex-marine. No water breaks during a three hour practice in record high temps. Same when I played in college. That was how it was done back then. Soft generations since. Can't even yell at a kid.

Comment

I was 20 and at A&M. The Cold War was still front and center. The country had been embarrassed by the hostage siege in Iran just a few years earlier and things did not look so bright. The Soviets seemed to be getting the upper hand and Carter was not the answer. That victory brought back a sense of pride to this country. Those guys won a game and the hearts of every American. No doubt about it. Was undoubtedly the greatest moment in sports In my lifetime.

Comment

I remember it well.

I even told some of my school mates when Russia made em look bad the in the Garden that it just pee-oed them and they'd make a game of it next time.......in the Olympics. I just had a feeling.

Comment

Close to home here. Several players from the area, The Iron Range, were on that team. My brother dated the sister of one of them for many years. One of them went on to be a dental surgeon and did the surgery to remove my wisdom teeth. That victory was such a great accomplishment!

Comment

They had several members of the team give the start engine command at the NASCAR race yesterday.

Comment

Good thread Dale. Interesting read.

Comment

Working...
                              X