Cavitation plates ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cavitation plates ??

So I’ve got a 21 foot shoalwater cat would a cavitation plate help the shallow performance any. I’d like to here from guys that have cats. Its new gets up pretty shallow but I think it can do better but maybe I’m wrong. Takes about 18” to get up when I’m loaded with 4 people and full of fuel. Running a bravo 1 xc 20 pitch on mercury 250 four stroke. Another thought to is that I need to learn to drive a cat hull better as well. I came from a tunnel vee so cat hull is new to me. Very happy with boat so far just trying to figure out all the performance I can get out of it. Thanks.

Are you blowing the prop out trying to get on plane?

Comment

Not till I try to take off with jack plate all the way up. Then I do. I’m thinking I may need to add some cup to the prop

Comment

That 20 pitch Bravo sounds about right for that boat. Cavitation plate will help some. Every boat has its own little quirks as far as hole shot. Are you tucking the motor all the way under when jumping up? If you have it trimmed out at all it will reduce your hole shot. If you are too high on the jack plate it will also effect it. Most Cats want the trim all the way down. Have you tried spinning the boat to get it up? Hard left turn while powering up. Trim up as you get on plane. 18 inches is a lot of water for that hull especially on soft bottom.

Comment

Tran Sport Boats makes a compression plate that is awesome. I have one on my river boat and it is awesome! Made a world of difference in getting skinny. 15” transom with a 15” shaft motor running about 6 1/2” of motor under the boat.

Comment

try wedges under your motor mounts to get more tuck. Worked wonders on my buddy,s flat bottom majek

Comment

What’s the boat do with only you and a 1/2 tank of gas. That’s a lot of motor, people and weight especially if you’re on a hard bottom. Use the weight you have to your advantage, have the other 3 sitting on the front deck till you get on top.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                That 20 pitch Bravo sounds about right for that boat. Cavitation plate will help some. Every boat has its own little quirks as far as hole shot. Are you tucking the motor all the way under when jumping up? If you have it trimmed out at all it will reduce your hole shot. If you are too high on the jack plate it will also effect it. Most Cats want the trim all the way down. Have you tried spinning the boat to get it up? Hard left turn while powering up. Trim up as you get on plane. 18 inches is a lot of water for that hull especially on soft bottom.
                I agree shouldn’t be a problem. The hard left or right turn helps a lot.

Comment

Cavitation plates ??

You want this?
                  Can’t get the video to load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Swampa; 07-28-2020, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Call Jack Foreman in Port LaVaca, he is the shallow water expert with props. No compression plate needed with the right prop.

Comment

I’ve thought about taking the prop to jack and having him work on it maybe add some cup or whatever he thinks it needs. I tuck motor all the way down and have trim tabs all the way down. If I keep jackplate on 4 it will jump up with a little left turn. Boat seems to be digging the rear end of the boat pretty hard when I try to take off real shallow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassbuster View Post
                        I’ve thought about taking the prop to jack and having him work on it maybe add some cup or whatever he thinks it needs. I tuck motor all the way down and have trim tabs all the way down. If I keep jackplate on 4 it will jump up with a little left turn. Boat seems to be digging the rear end of the boat pretty hard when I try to take off real shallow.

here is another vote for wedges under the motor mount for more tuck

Comment

Try a 19 with a lot of cup in the blades. You will lose top end but should gain hole shot.

Have you tried to turn to the left or right when you get up?

My boat prefers left and had a horrible hole shot until I had Baumann in Houston repitch and cup my prop.

If I were to put a plate in my motor it would be a Shaw wing.

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                            Call Jack Foreman in Port LaVaca, he is the shallow water expert with props. No compression plate needed with the right prop.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            Try a 19 with a lot of cup in the blades. You will lose top end but should gain hole shot.

Have you tried to turn to the left or right when you get up?

My boat prefers left and had a horrible hole shot until I had Baumann in Houston repitch and cup my prop.

If I were to put a plate in my motor it would be a Shaw wing.

I've read great things about what these two can do with a prop.

Comment

I think prop work first and go from there. It's the cheapest and fastest.

Even with that load I think you have plenty of motor to compensate

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X