No announcement yet.

Are vortex scopes that good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own lots of optics. Mostly leupold and nightforce. I picked up a Vortex HST for my 243 Ackley Improved because I didn't want to drop a mint for a scope with turrets. For a scope in the $600 - 700 price point, it's absolute garbage. Clarity is along the lines of $100 Bushnell. Can't seem to get the crosshairs in focus no matter how I adjust the parallax. I also own a set of the $300 price point binos. Again, absolute junk. Never again.
    Last edited by ptaylortx; 05-26-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I replaced a Nikon with a Vortex Diamondback. I was very pleased with the quality. I am in the market for another scope for a different rifle (22.250) and planned on another Diamondback.

Comment

Originally posted by ptaylortx View Post
        I own lots of optics. Mostly leupold and nightforce. I picked up a Vortex HST for my 243 Ackley Improved because I didn't want to drop a mint for a scope with turrets. For a scope in the $600 - 700 price point, it's absolute garbage. Clarity is along the lines of $100 Bushnell. Can't seem to get the crosshairs in focus no matter how I adjust the parallax. I also own a set of the $300 price point binos. Again, absolute junk. Never again.
        The new Razor HS-T ?

Comment

Trophy 8 hit the nail on the head. Save yourself some time and just read his response.

Comment

I put one on my son’s rifle and I like it . I feel it was a good purchase. But again the scope is only 2 years old and we don’t shoot 300 yds

Comment

I have one of their higher end scopes on a 25-06. Forget which one. It has done me well for several years. I've shot a lot of critters with it and no problem

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                The new Razor HS-T ?
                HST. It’s An older first gen Viper, and a piece of garbage IMO as well.

Comment

Not a lot of fans here huh, interesting.

We have two Diamondback scopes, one on my wife's rifle and one on my son's.

Last year I watched my wife straight up football spike her rifle directly scope down on a boulder while we were crossing a frozen over creek in Colorado while Elk hunting, she slipped hard and the way she flipped it was either that or end up in the creek. I told her to unload, can't take any shots as it'll be way off. We got back to camp and she fired off a test round, didn't budge at all it was still dead on. That scope has a big nasty rock rash on it but didn't cave or dent and nothing broke. Still blows me away. Rings were Talley combos if anyone's interested.
                  Last edited by justletmein; 05-26-2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    My exact experience as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    The sad thing is. I notice it more in my Viper PST then i do in the several HS series that i have.

I have 3 or 4 HS series scopes, 1 Crossfire, 2 Viper PSTs and 2 sets of binos and 2 different red dots.

Out of the 10 or so different Vortex products that i have the Viper PST's are probably what im most disappointed in. Im not to sure the HS series is better than the PST.

I will say this for the money i really like the NIKON BLACK line. I just with the x1000 had a zero stop of some kind.

Comment

We've got a little Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 on our mini 14.

Comment

forgot I got two pairs of Vorertex Bino's also...... no issues

Comment

OP, for the gun you are putting it on it will be fine.

I’ve got a couple of their red dots (StrikeFire II) on some plinker AR’s. They serve the purpose that I need for them to serve. But I don’t rely on those guns/optics in important situations. Just fun guns. If the optic craps the bed then it doesn’t hurt anything.

All of that said, I’d personally pass on Vortex for any hunting purposes. I decided years ago that my equipment was something I could control when hunting and I’m not going to let any of it be a weak link that could ruin a hunt. Too many “once in a lifetime” scenarios that can be ruined by inferior equipment.

Comment

I bought two Vortex Viper's. Sold one to upgrade to a higher end scope. Still have one PST. Never had an issue with none of them. Used them for hunting and they did everything that I needed from them under hunting situations. Hold zero with no issues.

Comment

I owned a first gen Strikefire. It was absolute junk. they should have been embarrassed to put something that bad on the market.

I also owned a Viper. For the record, i have only ever run Lupy VXII and VXIII products, and wanted to give them a try. They worked well all except for low light performance, they just couldn’t perform like the Lupy’s I was used to performed. I would have kept the scope other than that one hang up that I use a lot shooting pigs.

Comment

3 pair of Binos/Rfinders, and over a dozen vortex scopes, from bottom end to top end. Lower end scopes aren’t as good as top end, with any company. I’ve only had a few issues with them and have had NO complaints with customer service. Vortex ALL THE WAY FOR ME!

Comment

Working...
                                X