X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I echo what Burnadell said.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      Heck, we got married at my church in 1968, had the reception downstairs in the fellowship hall, then my wife and I left on our honeymoon; spent the night in Shreveport, then drove on to New Orleans. This stuff has gotten way out of hand!!!

Yep
      All that and the expectation that that ring set will cost as much as a nice used truck.

I didnt get married in a church but i built a dance floor at my wife's grandmothers house, we cooked all the food ourselves and invited about 50 of which 40 showed up.
      I cant imagine all in including the ring costing more than 2k

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
        We are getting married in September. We are Trying to keep it On the lower side, at least for the area we live.

Venue 5000$ pretty easy, some are way more.

Photo 1500-3000$ easy. Some of the bigger packages have bridal and engagements photos in addition to wedding

Video, can do without, but runs 1000-2000 grand easy.

Food, easy way to save money. Don’t invite everyone know. We started out at 85–100, now at about 140. Price per person with alcohol, can get 30-50$ a person easy. Hence, keep invite list small. Other options, Don’t have liqueur, just beer/wine. Or have cash bar?

Cake, 300-500$ For 120 people

Invitations, 100-200$

Decorations????

Dress$$$

We started out trying to stay around 12-15000, I think I’m gunna do good to stay 18,000.

I really think the easiest way to save money is too keep the invite list short. Then less tables, chairs, invitations and food.

It’s hard, always worried about people’s feelings when they are not invited. If you can’t afford it, then you can’t afford it.

Venue is another good way to keep price low.

I have been to weddings that cost 30-50,000$. They are huge at very fancy places. Weekday tend to be cheaper than weekends. Also, places get booked a year out. With covid causing a push back on weddings, fall and winter are gunna be booked at a lot of places. Maybe pushing to 2021, will give more time to save money.

Everything cost more for wedding. I think it’s great that you want to make her dream come true. Maybe pricing everything out will help them get a plan more realistic for their budget.

I just think I’d skimp on some people to get good pictures.

Going through this with our second daughter right now and his numbers are in line with what we are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have no advice, never could give advice to my troops because I was Blessed. 37 years ago we got married by the Justice of the Peace who said a few words from the good book and we had a witness present. I spent most of my military career working with explosives so I don’t even wear a wedding band.

Even today, we are passionately in love.

Goodluck

Comment

I don't even think I know 120 people. Lol.

Comment

I dated a wedding planner. I know people spend goofy amounts. One wedding she did costed around $2.5 million. Keep it small and simple.

Comment

Wife and I were putting a wedding together. Everyone started telling her how to plan her wedding and it became a headache. We decided to go get married on our honeymoon and threw a party when we got home. Rented a neighborhood pavilion. Got 2 kegs of beer, 2 cases of chicken, 5 briskets, and had people bring pot luck for sides. It was low stress, a good time, and affordable for us.
                Looking back I don't think I would change a thing.

Comment

We did a destination wedding in Hawaii. Less than $5k for wedding, and 10 days in Hawaii with all activities included. Came back here and had a big reception, because the only reason folks go to weddings is for the reception anyhow.

Comment

If you think weddings are expensive wait until you have to hire a divorce lawyer

Comment

Do they own a house? If not, keep wedding simple and save all the money towards a home or honeymoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        I don't even think I know 120 people. Lol.
                        You say that, but once it comes time to send out invitations you can get to 120 real quick!

Comment

We are on 1/3 acre. No pool but close to the same size lot as you’re talking. We had our wedding in the back yard with about 220 people. Wasn’t crowded at all. Have someone with a smoker make some bbq. Ask close family to make 1 side each. Rent tables and chairs and a couple ports potty’s. Plug a phone into a speaker and let Spotify DJ it for you. Got our wedding done for around $3000 and everyone said it was the most fun wedding they had ever been to. Most venues kick you out after 2 hours and you have to hire off duty police to be there. Ours ran from 11:00 am to 3:00 am. Buy enough beer and then buy more. My truck looked like the back of The Snowman’s rig by the time it was loaded down. If anyone asks if they can bring anything, say ice .... well maybe not in December. My advice is to have some food set aside ahead of time for the bride and groom and eat right after the ceremony because everyone will want to talk and congratulate them during chow time.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                            We did a destination wedding in Hawaii. Less than $5k for wedding, and 10 days in Hawaii with all activities included. Came back here and had a big reception, because the only reason folks go to weddings is for the reception anyhow.
                            This^^
                            I was worried because I have a large family and we're all close so my guest list was quite a bit larger than hers. She had always "dreamed" (I know, I know) of having a destination wedding so I came up with a compromise to make us both happy. I suggested we do the destination and I'd roll the dice and invite EVERYONE I wanted thinking that most wouldn't be able to make it for various reasons. On the invitation we put the details for a reception at my Dad's place when we got back for those who couldn't make it. Boom, alleviated any guilt I might've had and made her happy. We got married in St Thomas, had about 25 guests total all of whom were responsible for their own lodging except for the family staying at our villa who split the cost with us and had plenty of room to ourselves. After we hopped on a plane and headed over to the BVI for the honeymoon and had our reception when we got back. For that most ppl brought their own chairs, we had brisket, etc with a few beer troughs. Music was provided from a playlist I made on my phone and played via a Bluetooth speaker system.

All that to say this: There are some good suggestions here. Get creative, move some stuff around and if possible create a scenario where you can skim some guests without actually eliminating them. Say things like, "no kiddos please" or "no denim", haha. I'm mostly kidding but also throwing out what worked for me.

Comment

Also push that date back to December. Awful dangerous to have a wedding anniversary during deer season for the rest of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                I dated a wedding planner. I know people spend goofy amounts. One wedding she did costed around $2.5 million. Keep it small and simple.
                                Oh boy.... I bet the drama stories that came with dating a wedding planner is worthy of its own thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X