• Show
Clear All

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

No! Hell no!

Comment

Originally posted by BDann View Post
        Nope. Property taxes are way too high, and I’m sick of paying for big administration salaries and giant stadiums. Get the spending under control then we can talk, but until then I’ll vote against it every time.

Comment

I have 8 teachers in my extended family. Never heard one of them complain about their wages. I'm sure they would take it but money is not why they teach. Carry on city folks!

Comment

Why do we have to have an increase in property tax to fund teacher salary increases? There's plenty of wasteful spending that can be removed to fund it if the people in positions to perform would do so.

Comment

Burnadell....yes. Increase taxes. Increase pay and increase competition for limited openings. Cream rises. Dont just expect but entice better teachers for our children.

Public school teachers are an extremely undervalued asset to our social fabric.

Comment

kind of funny. there's a state wide debate going on right now over teachers getting about a 5% raise, but anytime there's a bond for a new football stadium it usually passes through without a hitch. east texas was the worst I've ever seen. 10-20 million dollar football stadiums at 3A and 4A schools, and the teachers were being paid state base. great priorities.

Comment

Short answer is NO!

Comment

I think an answer is why teachers complain about pay after they’ve been teaching is not because they didn’t understand the pay schedule. It’s that they underestimated the level is BS they have to put up with.

What about Houston fire fighters? Did they not understand the pay schedule? I don’t see why this complaining is often aimed at teachers and not police of fire fighters. Everyone always knows the pay before they take a job.

Comment

I am going with no. Private schools and home schools consistently outperform public schools with considerably less money for everyone involved. Public schools already get way too much money from the taxpayer, so restructure/reallocate until their performance equals private schools, and when it does then maybe the taxpayer should consider putting more money into that pit. The money is there, it is just being misspent

Comment

I'm in favor of teachers getting raises and not in favor of raising property taxes. The school finance system is in need of a complete overhaul, the way it sits now there is no way it can sustain a $5,000 raise for every teacher. If a correction to the system is not a part of the raise being discussed this session, then the raise does not need to happen, will be a train wreck if it does.

Comment

Every district is different and economics come into play, it would have to be a state level fund, IMHO.

Half of my wife's district funds come from Property Taxes at $102,131,790 +/- some change (Property Value Estimates of $10,254,161,814, Tax rate to fund 1.04000 with an estimated attendance of 22,098 students. The other half comes from Other Local Revenue, (State Program Revenue 90 million) and Other Resources. This needs to be on the state.
                          Last edited by Chad C; 04-05-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

don't worry everyone. Funds from the state lottery will go to education.

Comment

My property taxes are going up almost $20,000, this year, and go up every year, might as well give us a raise cause taxes are going up regardless. Both my wife and I work for our school district.

Comment

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm probably not going to so if this has already been pointed out I apologize.

So the question is, would I support a tax increase to cover a raise for teachers.

My point is that you get a tax increase dang near every year. The property tax percentage may stay the same but your property values increase and so the amount you are paying in taxes increases. Follow me? So the problem is that school districts don't keep up with those annual teacher raises closely enough to where you keep up with the cost of living. More dollars come in as a result of property values increasing but that money is not budgeted towards actually keeping the salary scale caught up to the rising cost of living. So then every 20 years or so the state has to step in and make a bigger adjustment. This isn't the first time for this.

So, should property tax rates increase to cover a raise for teachers? No. They should not. Should annual raises given to teachers keep up with the cost of living so we don't end up where we are now? Yes, absolutely. Small incremental adjustments are much easier to swallow. I think over the last 20 years if teacher raises had gone up at the same rate as property values and therefore taxes collected we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X