Training a Dog to Track Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training a Dog to Track Deer

I'm thinking about training my dog to track deer and was wondering if anyone has any tips for training? I don't need the dog to be the best tracker ever, but I would enjoy having him help me if I do have to trail a deer. An older gentleman at Cabelas mentioned dragging an old deerskin across a field, and I have seen some kits with a pelt and scent included. Thanks in advance!

Try the search on here and you will find a whole thread on tracking training ect. There's not much better than a good deer dog imo! Good luck

Comment

This ^^^^^ is everything you want to know and more.

Comment

All I have ever done is to take the pup with me. I usually try to make the first few tracks easy ones with lots of blood. After just once or twice they seem to figure it out pretty well. It is just about exposure and positive reinforcement.

-john

Comment

Comment

I trained a rottweiler to track deer without much issue. I used a drag made from an old skin and i would stuff a piece of deer liver inside when i would lay the trail.

Comment

Where are you located? I have some blood and a chunk of hog hide in the freezer Id be happy to give you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Buckaroo View Post
                Where are you located? I have some blood and a chunk of hog hide in the freezer Id be happy to give you.
                I'm located in the north Dallas area. I think I have a frozen hide, but the blood might be very helpful. I'm going to check this weekend. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

Working...
                  X