Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for High Fence Owners (long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for High Fence Owners (long read)

Holler if I can help. Happy to share any info you want to know.

Bought our place in 2004. We were high fenced on 2 sides with fence across county road on other 2 sides. Went ahead and fenced it all in when we bought it. From 2004 till 2014 we were strictly 100% native deer herd. 2014 I think (maybe 2013) We bought some bred does and “juiced up” our does and it has changed the place 100%. Not saying it was right or wrong but it increased our average buck score.....a lot.

We had good genes to start with and killed 2 deer that were right at 190”. Those were not the norms though. Usually our top end deer were 150s/160s before with the odd deer popping to 189-190.

If I were you, I would corn the heck out of it, throw a high fence up on it and enjoy it. Add some exotics if you like. We have done so in the past and enjoyed them big time. Really increases the use of the property when you have game to hunt year round. We never would hunt them in Summer but we would in April/May and it made it fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d fence the majority of it but leave enough low fenced to be able to hunt it as well

Comment

following

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
          If we are voting....I say yes.

But I’m also on the side of cleaning out the trash and starting fresh with your deer.

I’ve seen too many places fence and then “give it a few years” to see what those deer can do.

It’s very rarely successful.
          Agree, 100%

Get some bred does with genetics you like and watch your herd grow. You don’t need to buy any expensive bucks unless you want too. I started my place with 6 bred does and it has done well.

Comment

Could y’all post pics of native high fence deer shot ones that don’t have any genetics introduced

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
              Could y’all post pics of native high fence deer shot ones that don’t have any genetics introduced
              2020-2021 2019-2020 2018-2019 2017-2018 2016-2017 2015-2016 2014-2015 2013-2014 2012-2013 2011-2012 2010-2011 2009-2010 2008-2009 2007-2008 2006-2007 2005-2006 2004-2005 2003-2004 2002-2003 2001-2002

The Hindes Ranch is one of the oldest and most established native whitetail south Texas hunting ranches and it has been in operation since 1924.

Comment

Fence it and enjoy. When you hear gun shots going off, you’ll be relieved knowing the 125” 3 year old you’ve been watching didn’t just die. As for element of surprise- when your neighbors shoot everything that jumps that fence, there isn’t much a chance for a surprise. Just heartache and frustration. Do it , don’t delay. Sleep better at night.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                  Here's a couple from our ranch.

Comment

High fence bashers...[emoji57]

I’ve hunted high fence ranches from less than 1000 acres up to 122,000 acres. The deer if managed properly are no less wild than and low fence deer.

OP if I were in your shoes I’d fence it and manage it. Be frugal in the amount of exotics if your goal is to grow better white tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My place is not as big as yours and I fenced it 15 years ago after watching my neighbors kill the young deer I was letting walk. I have not regretted doing it one bit. I still enjoy the place probably more so after I fenced it. I do not have any exotics as most, but not all, will complete directly with whitetail. Be prepared to harvest a lot of deer each year if you want to maintain a static population. You will probably want to strongly consider going MLD, conservation option. This will give you a longer window to control the population. If you want to improve genetics, there are options that are not as costly such as the TTT program. If you really want to jump the genetics up a notch you can build a DMP. If you want to PM me I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        Here's a couple from our ranch.

Those are some really great deer. I love the big typicals with some drops thrown in. Thanks for sharing them.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                          My place is not as big as yours and I fenced it 15 years ago after watching my neighbors kill the young deer I was letting walk. I have not regretted doing it one bit. I still enjoy the place probably more so after I fenced it. I do not have any exotics as most, but not all, will complete directly with whitetail. Be prepared to harvest a lot of deer each year if you want to maintain a static population. You will probably want to strongly consider going MLD, conservation option. This will give you a longer window to control the population. If you want to improve genetics, there are options that are not as costly such as the TTT program. If you really want to jump the genetics up a notch you can build a DMP. If you want to PM me I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks deerwatcher I might reach out to you soon.

Comment

I have similar sized ranch w same kind of same scenario as you.
                            I take care of and manage my place by myself going on 16 yrs.
                            I try to do it to the best of my ability & my finances will allow.
                            My place was partially fenced & it wasn't until I fenced it in did I start seeing good numbers of quality bucks. If you look at some of my old posts you can see some pics of deer I have grown.
                            To this day I am still excited about it & spend every spare moment I have working & improving the ranch.
                            It never gets old but can physically take a toll on this aging body. Haha
                            Anyway, if you like feel free to contact me & I will be happy to share what I know.
                            Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                              I have similar sized ranch w same kind of same scenario as you.
                              I take care of and manage my place by myself going on 16 yrs.
                              I try to do it to the best of my ability & my finances will allow.
                              My place was partially fenced & it wasn't until I fenced it in did I start seeing good numbers of quality bucks. If you look at some of my old posts you can see some pics of deer I have grown.
                              To this day I am still excited about it & spend every spare moment I have working & improving the ranch.
                              It never gets old but can physically take a toll on this aging body. Haha
                              Anyway, if you like feel free to contact me & I will be happy to share what I know.
                              Best of luck to you.

Thank you Tom. I will probably take you up on the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                                Fence it. If you are not already a MLD, get it in the program whether you high fence it or not., If you bring in exotics watch them closely, some of them multiply like weeds, NO Aoudad. Axis do well but they can be aggressive and push whitetail away from feeders. Fallows stay at the feeders constantly so if you get any of them your WT will not do well. Supplemental feed protein & cottonseed.
                                X2

Comment

Working...
                                X