TPWD Draw Hunts and Non-residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
    In regards to opening up the west Texas WMAs to any cast of people to go in and shoot aoudad, would probably end in a bad and expensive outcome

The risk to the local big horn population is pretty high. Too great a risk of the average Joe hunter thinking he’s on a group of aoudad and they be big horns. No offense meant to anyone out there, but look at the people who can’t even get restrictions right on the other drawn hunts, (people shooting spikes on doe hunts, mule deer doe on whitetail doe/spike hunts, not seeing the 8th point on a 7 point and under hunt at the chap, etc.)
    I would be interested to see the wildlife survey numbers on those vast WMAs and how many acres to the deer out there though.

My survey included the following concerns:

Let the individual purchase the loyalty point for $3 instead of putting in and possibly drawing a hunt. Many times you may not be able to get off work for the few hunts or the dates on the hunts you prefer don’t line up. I’d like the point but don’t want to draw or risk drawing that year. Other states allow this. Would hope to see it implemented here.
    LOL Audad are much bigger than bighorn and different color, accidentally shooting a bighorn mistaking it for an audad is like accidentally shooting someone with a bow on public land, its not an accident if it happens.
    Last edited by bossbowman; 03-03-2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I did mine yesterday. I'm sure Texas will catch up on fees soon enough.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BassMaster13 View Post
        70,000 acres, with 16 hunters in the field for lets just give it a conservative 15 days. Come on. I don't think the hunters that are willing to wait and draw this tag are gonna be out there messing with the sheep. I understand a lot of that land is vast but give people an opportunity.
        Black Gap is a very sparsely-populated area. During the drought years, the deer density was only 1 deer per section. For 70,000 acres, thats only 110 total deer. At a 3:1 sex ratio, that's only 27-ish bucks. A potential harvest of 16 is an extremely high harvest rate of over 50%, way higher than desirable (and this doesn't even look at the buck age structure). During good years, the density is only 100 acres per deer (700 animals; 200ish bucks and 500ish does). If you then figure a low buck age structure of only 20%, that means there are only 40 mature bucks, and again, shooting 16 bucks is a very high harvest rate (40%).

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
          LOL Audad are much bigger than bighorn and different color, accidentally shooting a bighorn mistaking it for an audad is like accidentally shooting someone with a bow on public land, its not an accident if it happens.
          Not disagreeing with this, but, in my opinion not every hunter out there uses all of their common sense, or logic. Some see what they want to see. Especially if they have an untrained eye or are rookies in identifying species.

Mule deer are generally larger and a different color than white tails but youÂ’d be amazed at those who canÂ’t tell a difference. If youÂ’ve ever been on a drawn public hunt on a WMA or public land where both species inhabit, the biologists will make a point to explain the distinct differences in the two, give stern warnings about shooting the wrong species and that itÂ’s happened before and youÂ’ll be ticketed if you do. I could see that possibly being an issue on the WMAs that have both big horns and aoudads. A stretch to some, but still realistic

Comment

Not disagreeing with this, but, in my opinion not every hunter out there uses all of their common sense, or logic. Some see what they want to see. Especially if they have an untrained eye or are rookies in identifying species.

Mule deer are generally larger and a different color than white tails but youÂ’d be amazed at those who canÂ’t tell a difference. If youÂ’ve ever been on a drawn public hunt on a WMA or public land where both species inhabit, the biologists will make a point to explain the distinct differences in the two, give stern warnings about shooting the wrong species and that itÂ’s happened before and youÂ’ll be ticketed if you do. I could see that possibly being an issue on the WMAs that have both big horns and aoudads. A stretch to some, but still realistic
            Back button.

I just want to shoot an aoudad! Lol

Comment

So why let some out of stater come hunt, when there are plenty of locals who ain’t getting picked...nope take care of us first!

I am biased, skunked 2 years in a row on the drawing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                FWIW as a former resident, and with a ton of preference points I will be continuing to apply to two WMA's I really like down there. I don't like them so much I will pay $300 non-refundable license fee much but they are good hunts. I think Texas would lose a lot of application fees if they made non-res buy a license first.

At the end of the day, I am ok if they do. I am opportunistic and always will do a hunt that I know is good on the cheap, but If I have to apply for 10 years, spend 3K in fees for a hunt worth half that, they will lose my and a lot of other nonresidents.

In 19 years of applying I drew TWO, yes TWO, high quality deer hunts... Lack of public land in Texas was major factor in my move.
                Requiring some one to buy a small game licenses isn’t got to effect applications

I spend $45 plus CC interest every year in idaho just to put in for a moose tag with lessor draw odds then most our deer hunts

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                  I got three emails from NWFG highlighting the differences so apparently it happens.

Comment

I have been to Devils river twice, there are a few bighorn there and they never said a thing about distinguishing between the two

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      I got three emails from NWFG highlighting the differences so apparently it happens.
                      Who dat?

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                        I have been to Devils river twice, there are a few bighorn there and they never said a thing about distinguishing between the two
                        No there isn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                          There are not any bighorn on devils river.

And there has been an instance of hunter shooting a bighorn ram thinking it was an aoudad a few years back, so it does happen.

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post

And there has been an instance of hunter shooting a bighorn ram thinking it was an aoudad a few years back, so it does happen.
                            I remember reading about that somewhere. Curious what the restitution was on that citation.

Comment

Update on Wyoming NR bill, it failed in committee.
                              However, Sy made it clear the outfitters association wants $1400 regular elk tags and $2000 in the special draw. Remember that when you are looking for a Wyoming elk hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
                                So why let some out of stater come hunt, when there are plenty of locals who ain’t getting picked...nope take care of us first!

I am biased, skunked 2 years in a row on the drawing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Two years?!? I went 8! LOL.... yet I can draw every year in Colorado somehow, and every year in Wyoming if I rotate species.

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post

I'd put money on that "hunter" knowing exactly what he shot and trying to use Aoudad as an excuse after getting caught.

Comment

Working...
                                X