Stx hunting gear suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stx hunting gear suggestions

I’m curious what kinda gear everyone that hunts in the thick brush wears? We hunt down near Hebbronville and the cold rainy weather last week made me realize that I’m in need of some new hunting gear. The 5 jackets and old loud bibs I had on were just plain aggravating. I don’t mind spending some money on them if there going to last and be comfortable. Am I asking the impossible for some hunting clothes that are quiet and hold up in the brush? I’ve looked my self in circles on the internet and would greatly appreciate y’all’s recommendations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try SKRE Gear. It's known as the working man's Sitka. I bought the hardscrabble pants and a shirt last year for an elk hunt, and have been happy with it. They're running a 10% off right now, and run a 20% off a few times a year. Bought my merino base layers from Camofire. They are Black Ovis. Have had good luck with the Cabelas microtex pants and shirt, and their 1/2" bourber fleece I bought 5 years ago on clearance after Christmas. They used to run a sell on their base layers for $15 per piece after new year's if you watch their sales. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Really depends on the style of hunting. If your only going to be hunting in TX and walking to / from the blind I’d just go with cabelas, scentblocker, field & stream carhartt, Nat Gear etc.. Most of these real high dollar brands are catering to the spot and stalk with large temp shift hunters (multiple layers). Although it’s great gear i think you could save a lot of money and still be happy with the above mentioned brands.

Check out Columbia too they get overlooked a lot but make good gear.

Comment

Nothing is quiet AND holds up to south Texas brush. Are you actually spot and stalking through the brush? If you blind hunting it doesn’t have to be tough. I wear jeans and a T-shirt with a heavy pullover option 99% of the time. One heavy jacket over that gets you to colder than it gets down there

Comment

I use a mixture of all kinds of camo. Nothing special. I do like camo that's relative to my area. Bushlan, brush country, and Kryptec camo all work well. I find that layering up reduces bulk and actuality warmer. But I don't go stopping through brush much unless I'm trailing a hit animal.

For the most part I hunt out of a pop up or rifle blind so rain doesn't really bother me. Some under armour cold gear thermals blue jeans a good warm fleece top and jacket with my ever present snake boots, yes even in cold weather. They keep the sand burrs and cactus spines out of my chins and camper. But probably most importantly, a good propane heater.

Comment

2 or 3 pairs of tweezers

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

I bought a matching Magellan long sleeve shirt and pants with scent lock technology

Comment

Originally posted by Trophydoehunter View Post
                I’m curious what kinda gear everyone that hunts in the thick brush wears? We hunt down near Hebbronville and the cold rainy weather last week made me realize that I’m in need of some new hunting gear. The 5 jackets and old loud bibs I had on were just plain aggravating. I don’t mind spending some money on them if there going to last and be comfortable. Am I asking the impossible for some hunting clothes that are quiet and hold up in the brush? I’ve looked my self in circles on the internet and would greatly appreciate y’all’s recommendations!

If you are walking and beating the brush, the best stuff is non insulated Carhartt duck canvas in bibs or pants with reinforced knees. Use the same material for your jacket but just wear some base layers for heat.

Wash them 3 or 4 times and they will soften up and not be so noisy.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                  X