Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What percent of archery shots result in recovered animal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What percent of archery shots result in recovered animal?

This year we have lost 2 out of 11 deer shot. Of the 9 found 1 was pure luck it was found. At least 3 "sure shots" were for sure pushed and jumped.

Take your time after the shot no matter how great of a shot you think/know you made. Be quiet and if not a massive blood trail then back out. Doesn't hurt to wait!

And at least 2 shots ended up being near perfect and had zero blood trail. Both were pass through shots.

What are everyone else's shot/recovery rates this year?

I've never failed to recover an animal i have shot with my bow.... I found all three of them

EDIT: Insufficient sample size, I know. Joking

Comment

I think if the honest results were actually published the old Texas Trophy Hunters cartoon may not get scoffed at as much.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
        I think if the honest results were actually published the old Texas Trophy Hunters cartoon may not get scoffed at as much.
        Wait... Do you mean that every deer killed, whether found or not, aren't posted to social media? Isn't there some kind of internet rule about that?

Comment

I’m at 100%. I’ve lost 0 of the 0 deer I have shot so far.

Comment

Would be interesting to know the percentage of archery recoveries as related to percentage of rifle recoveries.

Comment

I know Oklahome did a study on one of their WMA's several years ago using collared deer. The wounding rate was 50% but only about 20% of the wounded animals actually died. I think it may have been traditional equipment only also. Been a long time since I read the paper.

Comment

Not bragging at all, and knock on wood it continues, but around 30 for 30 (including exotics) for me so far. I would guess the actual number is around 90-95%?

Comment

I believe we shot 5 deer last year on our place. 4 were recovered right away. One showed back up alive and well and was arrowed again a few weeks later. Over the years I would say we are running at about 80%.

Comment

we're 0 for 1 on our place.

We don't have a lot of deer though so if we stick 2 in a year we had a hella year lol

Comment

We are 9/9 so far but one of the does we didn't find until the next day, she only went 100 yards but no blood.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We are about like you, We have shot 16 and found 14. We jumped one, the shot looked perfect right behind the shoulder as it ran off, the other one, no blood other than on the arrow.

Comment

I always wait 30 minutes before I get out of my stand, unless I see them DRT and shaking. I've lost some hogs but I really didn't look that hard for them.

Comment

If your recovery rate is low, I suggest practicing. You owe it to the animals you are hunting to make the most ethical and lethal shot possible. I know it happens, but if it happens often for you, you're in the wrong game.

Comment

this season, 0-1 (still hurts)….last hunting season out in lake Brownwood 2-2...maybe it's the local...I miss that area!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X