How loud is loud??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How loud is loud??

Done some shooting over the last couple of days & ive really come to enjoy the traditional side of archery.

I’ve got my bow shooting pretty good. The only thing is it sounds kinda loud but it’s shooting great & id hate to mess anything up trying to quite it down some. Maybe it’s not just louder than I’m used to with my compound bows.

This how it’s set up. Brace height is 7 7/8”(I set this. Was at 8 1-4”) limb saver silencers on the limbs beaver balls on the string & I put some Velcro fuss on the limbs. Is there anything else I could try??

The bow was basically set up when I got it. (Thanks Easttxbowman for this thing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I learned from more experienced bowhunters, as well as from a recent experience, is how whitetails seem to react more to the sound of the arrow headed their way, compared to the actual noise the bow upon release.

Comment

Check your arrow weight. Calculate the total weight or weigh your arrow and divide that number by the pounds generated by the bow at your draw length. I like to keep mine above nine grains of arrow weight per pound of force. The heavier the arrow, the quieter the shot.

Comment

This is just what I do. I typically set my brace height at the quietest point. I then tune the arrow from there. Was the bow quieter at 8-1/8”? The arrow thread you started says your well over 10 grains per pound. Arrow weight ain’t the problem. Some days I just can’t get off the string as clean as I like and that causes noise. Try twisting your brace up a little at a time till you hit that sweet spot. You’ll know it when you get there.

Comment

How tight are your nocks on the string?
          I've seen tight nocks as a noise problem more than anything else.

If the arrow doesn't pop off the string easily with a light 2 finger tap, then the nocks are to tight.

When the nocks are to tight, the arrow drags the string forward past it's normal stopping point.
          That not only increases string vibration, but it also amplifies the slap of the string on the belly of the limbs.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
            This is just what I do. I typically set my brace height at the quietest point. I then tune the arrow from there. Was the bow quieter at 8-1/8”? The arrow thread you started says your well over 10 grains per pound. Arrow weight ain’t the problem. Some days I just can’t get off the string as clean as I like and that causes noise. Try twisting your brace up a little at a time till you hit that sweet spot. You’ll know it when you get there.

I’m gonna try & play with the brace height later today & see what happens. It seemed a little louder with the brace height set longer that’s why I started playing with it.

Always fun learning something new!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I personally don't worry about it too much. But then again, I try and take 12 yard shots on average. If I were lobbing them out there, I might want to make sure I'm not too loud I suppose.

I don't think how loud the noise is matters too terribly much... We are right there, so we hear it and we obsess about it. I let the sound tell me when something is lose or out of brace... or bad release... I don't dwell on the critter.

When it comes to the critter, I think what matters most is how on edge they are when you take the shot. As a bow hunter with slow arrows, start paying attention to the state of the animal. You can tell when a deer is tense or more or less relaxed. The same goes for pigs, etc.

Comment

If its more than a dull thump, its too much. Most arrow noise is behind the arrow and not a major concern, but quiet is better.

Comment

Working...
                X