You folks that have sold your hunting or farming property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    I sold mine Jeff, lock, stock, and barrel. I owned it 11 years, spent way too much labor and sweat, and a considerable amount of $ on it. I bought it pretty cheap though, paid cash, and owner financed the sale with 15% down. I haven’t regretted it whatsoever and that monthly check will let me hunt pretty near any place I want to. YMMV though, as some get sentimental about land, but mine had no family ties so it didn’t twinge too much.

I did enjoy the process of taking a piece of raw land and turning it into a pretty nice hunting property though, complete with 5 acres of food plots, nice roads, and a nice 1200 sg.ft. house. All the guy had to do was move in and bring his gun. If I had it to do over, I wouldn’t change a thing.

I feel the need to add that my age had something to do with my decision. Some of you younger guys may not understand this, but I’m 72 and I do own 87 acres where I live and have a cheap deer lease 20 minutes from the house. That factors in, plus the fact that food plotting spring and fall on three places is getting to me. I can’t go like I used to, nor do I want to. Jeff may be feeling like that too !
    How I feel about it. If not family land, I’d sell. People are paying prices for land that will never in 5 lifetimes pay for itself around here.

Couple hundred or even 40 acres is fun to play on but can get boring to me after a few years. For the price of the sale I could have that money invested and hunt anywhere I wanted the rest of my life and my kids life. No land taxes, no &$&-% ing cattle.

Working land is still fun to me when it’s a hobby... when it’s a job it sucks

Comment

Everything I own is for sale including my farm. But I buy and trade land a lot.

You have one of two mind sets on when you have land. It’s either for profit or recreation. You just have to decide where you are at. If for profit, then it’s just a formula of it’s the “right” amount of money.

Comment

I am fortunate to own part of 3 ranches, bought them so my family will always have a place to hunt, I do not plan on selling them, after I am gone I hope my great great grand children are hunting on Paw Paw's ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          How I feel about it. If not family land, I’d sell. People are paying prices for land that will never in 5 lifetimes pay for itself around here.

Couple hundred or even 40 acres is fun to play on but can get boring to me after a few years. For the price of the sale I could have that money invested and hunt anywhere I wanted the rest of my life and my kids life. No land taxes, no &$&-% ing cattle.

That is what is happening around here. The problem is everyone here is buying, splitting it up in 10 acre lots and selling it for 10k an acre. I never seen anything like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            That is what is happening around here. The problem is everyone here is buying, splitting it up in 10 acre lots and selling it for 10k an acre. I never seen anything like it.
            There paying near that now here..... then are like $&&% I need a $80k tractor too....and on and on. No clue what it takes to upkeep land

One guy wanted to lease us his pasture (about 100 acre place) for cattle.... he though $1,500 a month would be fair. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

Yep. Its crazy. I ran rough numbers some months ago and on one piece of property I looked at it would take something like 200yrs to pay for it off with cattle, if you you worked for free and had zero other expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                Take the money and buy a boat. Best advice I can give you.[emoji2957]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                Ha That is what I did.
                There are times I miss having my farm but I don't miss all the work keeping it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3233.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	24595534

Comment

My place is waiting on the survey now.. I hated to let it go but i moved to far away to take care of the cows .. without that I couldn't justify paying for the land.. It will be an adjustment. I actually enjoyed taking care of the land.. I think I'll buy a piece of land to retire on and start getting it like I want it..

Comment

Originally posted by bounds View Post
                    Unless youre in love with the property you have, I’d do a 1031 exchange and take the profits and go buy another piece of property. That will keep you from paying capital gains and you can find a place you don’t want to part with.
                    This is what I would do unless you have a tie (family land, etc.) to your existing place. This would allow you to get what you want, how big you want, and allow you to be wherever once you retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      the very fact that you are asking and struggling with the decision indicates that you aren't so in love with it. I would absolutely sell, especially based on the fact that you can keep minerals and water.

sell out and go buy a bigger chunk in OK!

Comment

Sell. I've had two places over the years, started with 160 acres and 1031'ed in 400 acres. I had hunting/grazing rights to to 800 adjacent acres. if the price is right and the timing is right-sell and don't look back.

I enjoyed the process of turning both places into something special, but now I actually hunt a lot more and work a lot less.

Comment

Sell if it does not mean much to you, but don't give it away. If you do the 1031 make sure you are using someone that knows all the ins and outs of it. Wanted to do it once but all the ducks have to line up just right. I found the properties I wanted to buy but if things don't happen in the right time frame, it sucks.

We sold our family farm a few years back, was just too far to keep up with. Grandparents and our father farmed there starting out as sharecroppers. Hated to do it but used the money to improve my Hill Country land so I just told myself I was just transferring the land. Kept the mineral rights, just in case.

People love to buy properties that are already improved,they can buy them cheaper than doing it themselves. It's hard to charge for blood, sweat, and tears as my sister the real estate guru says. Appraisers don't factor that in.
                          Good luck, land buying is fun.

Comment

Since you are considering it, you have already crossed the initial hurdle. My advise is provide them with a number that you think they would have to truly consider and a number that you could never imagine getting for the property.

Then take you holdings find you a place to you truly want. I am sure that you know what you want after all the years of owning the current property.

Make it your retirement present to yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                              Ha That is what I did.

There are times I miss having my farm but I don't miss all the work keeping it up.

[ATTACH]975755[/ATTACH]

You bought three!!![emoji12]

That said I have no room to talk! Didn't sell any land and still have 3![emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X