You folks that have sold your hunting or farming property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You folks that have sold your hunting or farming property

I had a man offer me quite a sum of money for my place. I can keep minerals and water rights. He wants my equipment, blinds and etc. Never considered selling before and I been aggravated thinking about it.

Y'all that have sold out, have you regretted it?

Did you just pay the capital gains and move on? I dont know if I would buy another chunk of land again.

If I do sell out then what?

I aint got but a few years left working and I really do not know what to do.

All I can say is I would never sell a piece that I enjoyed and didn't have too, land will never go down in value. I would only sell if I could buy a better piece some where else and improve on my investment.

Comment

Unless youre in love with the property you have, I’d do a 1031 exchange and take the profits and go buy another piece of property. That will keep you from paying capital gains and you can find a place you don’t want to part with.

Comment

I’m in the same boat. I think the market is good with quality properties going quickly. I’m probably going to sell but would be interested in hearing from guys who have taken the plunge as well.

Comment

Unless you’ve got an emotional attachment to your place, I 2nd the 1031 exchange and trade up.

Comment

I thought we already had this discussion old man? Don’t do it unless you can flip it for a larger piece of property. The only thing I know about land is.............they ain’t making any MORE of it.

Comment

Think of all the hunting you could do Jeff if you didn't have to work so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                I thought we already had this discussion old man? Don’t do it unless you can flip it for a larger piece of property. The only thing I know about land is.............they ain’t making any MORE of it.
                They keep raising the offer

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                  Think of all the hunting you could do Jeff if you didn't have to work so hard.

Comment

How much work have you put in the place and is the location good for you. If you do find another place would it be something you would have to start over on and close to you. Do you currently live on the place and how's the neighbors. I don't know how the taxes work but I think you have like 6 months to reinvest. Tough question. If you like your place don't sell it if you think you can find something better. Personally I wouldn't sell land especially if it's already paid for.

Comment

Everything I own is for sell I try not to fall in love with anything I can make some money on. Do a 1031 and find a good deal on another piece then repeat. You can't go wrong buying and selling dirt if you do it right. The only land I wouldnt sell is a piece of property I own that borders my late grandpa's farm.

Comment

Take the money and buy a boat. Best advice I can give you.[emoji2957]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree with all above. Once you part ways with land it's hard getting back.

Like many folks, I'm two generations removed from land owning farm and ranch heritage. "The county got the farm and we moved to town" as it is written. I'm not saying they could have held on back in those days but they chose to "buy a washing machine and then a Chevrolet". Now, significant wealth has moved back into the middle class and many feel the drive to want to return to the land, but alas, their ain't no land....point is, it's hard to get back. if anything transition your land wealth into another property with a 1031

Comment

Fixin’ to do the same thing.
                            Gonna miss the old place after 35 years.
                            But trading for one closer.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                              How much work have you put in the place and is the location good for you. If you do find another place would it be something you would have to start over on and close to you. Do you currently live on the place and how's the neighbors. I don't know how the taxes work but I think you have like 6 months to reinvest. Tough question. If you like your place don't sell it if you think you can find something better. Personally I wouldn't sell land especially if it's already paid for.
                              I dont live on the place, but have done may improvements over the years. I have looked at other properties and could buy something else, and start over again. I own it outright, been paid for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X