• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof Research Barrels

Anybody used these barrels?

They are worth the money.

Comment

I've been looking at them.

How much to rebarrel a rifle with a proof barrel?

Comment

Just finished chambering my first proof barrel yesterday. I've shot a few of them and they're nice barrels. They don't shoot any better than any other quality custom barrel, just lighter than the others in their respective contours. Are they worth the money? All in the eye of the beholder. Carbon barrels run about $750-850 then another $350 +/- for chambering. Their standard stainless barrels run about the same as everyone else's. Only difference is I made a Delrin lined aluminum sleeve for the outboard spider as I didn't want my jacking bolts to touch the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
          Just finished chambering my first proof barrel yesterday. I've shot a few of them and they're nice barrels. They don't shoot any better than any other quality custom barrel, just lighter than the others in their respective contours. Are they worth the money? All in the eye of the beholder. Carbon barrels run about $750-850 then another $350 +/- for chambering. Their standard stainless barrels run about the same as everyone else's. Only difference is I made a Delrin lined aluminum sleeve for the outboard spider as I didn't want my jacking bolts to touch the barrel.
          Yep, that's how much mine cost. With reloads, mine will shoot under 1/2" groups @100 yards off of bags. The largest group I shot during load development was 1.1", and most groups were under 3/4".

Would I buy one again? Maybe. It sure was expensive when you consider that you can buy two bartleins for less. But if it's between a bull barrel all steel vs a CF barrel, I'd take the proof.

Comment

I built one in a 300wm. Is it cool-Yes. Is it a shooter-Yes. Does it out shoot my other customs-No. Will I build another using a Proof.....probably not, I’ll save money on the barrel and spend it on upgrades.

jrg

Comment

Just depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your build. If you' gonna hunt out of a blind all the time not really that big of a deal. If weight reduction is important than absolutely. They are good barrels just very expensive.

Comment

I think it’s worth it. My 7 mag shoots well under 1/4”. I didn’t have tine to do the load work myself and the guy that did it offered to buy the rifle. He has done a bunch of load work on proofs. Said it was the best one he’s seen but all shot very well. It makes a difference in balance and weight. Downside is they do NOT like a suppressor hanging off the end. Changes POI a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Downside is they do NOT like a suppressor hanging off the end. Changes POI a lot.
                  Interesting, I wouldn't have expected that. I havent run mine suppressed yet, but now I'll have to try it out.

Comment

Downside is they do NOT like a suppressor hanging off the end. Changes POI a lot.
                    Makes sense as barrel harmonics on a lightweight barrel are changed with extra weight hanging off the front

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      Makes sense as barrel harmonics on a lightweight barrel are changed with extra weight hanging off the front
                      Yeah I wasn’t sure what to expect. It’s repeatable though!!

Comment

Had a 7SAUM built with a Proof barrel. 26", Defiance action, it's incredible. .25 MOA rifle. Initially, I was skeptical about the barrel, but I had won a 30% off certificate at a match and decided to take a chance after discussing it at length with my rifle builder. He's a tough critic, but said he was using a Proof barrel on his next personal build.

I haven't been this happy with a new rifle in a very long while.

Comment

I think it’s worth it. My 7 mag shoots well under 1/4”. I didn’t have tine to do the load work myself and the guy that did it offered to buy the rifle. He has done a bunch of load work on proofs. Said it was the best one he’s seen but all shot very well. It makes a difference in balance and weight. Downside is they do NOT like a suppressor hanging off the end. Changes POI a lot.

Hmmmmmm. They are supposed to be just as stiff as any barrel of the same contour. What can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Hmmmmmm. They are supposed to be just as stiff as any barrel of the same contour. What can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Harvester

Comment

My proof barrels shoot lights out but also have a significant poi shift with/without a suppressor (direct thread) - 6 moa at 100 yards to be exact.

I shoot suppressed 100% of the time so it's not an issue for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X