Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do we do? He's 5. Hard to let him walk...but I want to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do we do? He's 5. Hard to let him walk...but I want to.

Wow. That is a tough decision. What is the history on him? Were the drops there last year? What about width and tine length?

Comment

WOW! I am of no help.

Comment

I would probably walk him on your place. If I saw him on my place there's a good chance I would fall out of the tree before I could get a shot off!

Comment

He is a bona fide whopper. Dream deer for sure. I am pretty confident he will not be on your hit list this year. Just think what he could like next year unless you have a bad drought, coyotes get him, he gets injured, decisions, decisions ?

Comment

Outstanding! Personal call as you well know. I do remember you passing up bigger bucks with incredible results.

Very cool buck!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              Outstanding! Personal call as you well know. I do remember you passing up bigger bucks with incredible results.

Very cool buck!
              Yeah... But they didn't have 7 drops... Heheh

I've only ever seen 1 other native deer with this many legit drops (actually he had 8) and he was killed 32 years ago about a mile from where this buck lives.

I suspect he will push drops every year, but no idea if he will have this many... He's had drops on his right side for 2 years prior. This is the first year he has pushed them on his left.

Comment

Drops are finicky as you know but older deer do seem more prone. If this guy has a pattern then likely to repeat. And you still have a 3-4 yr window for him to please. Still no wrong answer.

Comment

It would be tuff but let him walk and make sure to find his sheds. He has had drops for the last couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

I've only ever seen 1 other native deer with this many legit drops (actually he had 8) and he was killed 32 years ago about a mile from where this buck lives.

I suspect he will push drops every year, but no idea if he will have this many... He's had drops on his right side for 2 years prior. This is the first year he has pushed them on his left.
                    Sounds like you have your answer. I would take him if you don't think the drops will be back next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                      Drops are finicky as you know but older deer do seem more prone. If this guy has a pattern then likely to repeat. And you still have a 3-4 yr window for him to please. Still no wrong answer.
                      Incredible deer. I have a question for both of you though. I never have had any deer that have ever thrown any drop tines to speak of. We had a real pretty deer last year that had matching double drops. This year he has one small drop on his left and clean on the right. Is there a good chance that he will throw double drops again in the future? Last year they were 6-7" perfectly matching drops and this year it is probably a 2-3" drop. Can post pics for reference if you want.

Encinal, that is an incredible deer. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Comment

What are the odds of finding his drops in the spring? You could have the best of both worlds if you were able to find them. Given your situation and place, I would be on the side of letting him walk. But couldnt fault you for taking him this year. Tomorrow isnt promised to anyone or any living thing for that matter.

Comment

Awesome deer, hopefully he doesn't break up this year and you can get the drops and have the best of both worlds. Special deer for sure

Comment

That is an amazing rack! Here's something to ponder. If you let him walk, what would you hope to see from him in the future that would make him more appealing later than now? More drops? Longer tines? Higher score? Or is it a matter of leaving him to breed for another year or two?

Other than potentially overall higher gross score, I'm not sure what he could achieve that would be "prettier" or more unique than he is right now. Even a higher score could come at the expense of the aesthetics.

If leaving him to breed is your priority, then your answer is more clear, as he should have a few more good years in him.

Even on your place with the history y'all have, I'd be tempted if everything came together perfectly with shot opportunity, video, etc. If you decide not to shoot him, I'd capture him and saw his antlers off to avoid the temptation if he shows up! (I'm joking...kind of...)
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

He's got to be close to 30" inside.

Comment

Working...
                              X