What would you try?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you try?

So now that deer season is over I have about 5 different bucks showing up on camera. Did not see much of anything during season.

I have 43ac, north border is high fence, so most everything travels east/west.
    South is major highway, west is a large pond/lake that basically funnels most activity to the North if they want to travel.
    None of the neighbors plant plots or farm but west neighbor has put up a feeder in the past.
    I have planted oats, peas, turnips, clover, soy beans. Keep a corn feeder running year round. Put out salt/mineral blocks. I can't seem to find anything the deer really like.
    Most everywhere deer around here will mow a pea patch, not mine as I had waist high peas and nothing touching them last spring/ summer

Wanting to try something else but not really sure where to go from here.

I would like to kill a big buck every year (who wouldn't ) but I know that is not a real expectation and would be satisfied with 1 every 3 years or longer. Mainly I just want to be able to keep a few around to see occasionally

Just thought I would see what others in E Texas were having luck with

lAB LAB OR CLOVER

Comment

keep up with a mineral lick wouldnt hurt. Create a buffet for the game, you build it they will come...

Comment

Ive hunted east tx for a long time on a 160 acre piece of property. My feeder activity went way up when I started using roasted soybean/corn mix. I also tried oat, peas etc.. Its a little higher but it definitely made a difference for me....may not be effective for you though.

Comment

I have almost the exact same setup as you. 37 acres...neighbor high fenced the Northwest border 2 years ago.

How many years has that plot been planted in that location?

The first plot I planted on my place did not see much activity the first spring and fall. The deer were not used to eating there consistently. The 2nd year was better and the last 2 years have been phenomenal for deer activity. I generally see 10-15 deer every sit. Shot a 4 year old buck off of it two years ago. To me...supplying a food source in one location year round...year after year is more critical than any particular plant. Sure you have to plant something deer are known to like but there is no magic bullet. You are planting some good stuff.

I have experimented with new plants in this plot the last 2 years (radishes 2 years ago...kale and chicory this year)....and they ate everything really well. The main core of my plot is oats/rye/and clover for the fall/winter/spring. I plant cow peas/soybeans in the summer but have not had a good crop yet because of drought.

So to me it really doesn't matter what I plant because they have become accustomed to eating in that same plot over the last 4 years. They know food will be there for most....if not the whole year. They feel secure eating there too because its surrounded by a thick mesquite flat....but I plan on making an even better food plot screen this year.

So based on the info you provided it sounds like they don't like that particular location or maybe they need more time to get used to eating in that location. It took mine 2 years or so for them to really start piling in. Good luck!

Comment

Seems to me that your place is a travel corridor and not a bedding/feeding area. JMO tho.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
              Seems to me that your place is a travel corridor and not a bedding/feeding area. JMO tho.
              You are correct and I want it to become a feeding area or at least a snack bar. I have seen them bedded on occasion on my place too. I believe they are mainly feeding on native food sources

One plot has been there 2 yrs and the other at least 4

Before I hunted it (I had other places to hunt) we planted clover for the cows and would see deer in it occasionally. That was prior to the high fence

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                You are correct and I want it to become a feeding area or at least a snack bar. I have seen them bedded on occasion on my place too. I believe they are mainly feeding on native food sources

One plot has been there 2 yrs and the other at least 4

Before I hunted it (I had other places to hunt) we planted clover for the cows and would see deer in it occasionally. That was prior to the high fence
                How thick is it? Good cover all around the plots or is it pretty open?

Comment

The older plot is in a clearing hat is narrow and long, much like a pipeline ROW with fairly thick woods on both sides.
                  Other plot is in a more open area but up against some thick woods

Comment

Find out what the white pigs like and plant that!!! Those are my favorite!!

Comment

Working...
                    X