food plot irrigation, need recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

food plot irrigation, need recomendations

I now have a running water well, and runs about 60gpm through a 3" line. I have a couple of 1 1/2 acre food plots I would like to set up an irrigation system on. Anybody have suggestions on where I might get some large sprinklers(irrigation size), so I can set up in line so I can get water to the spring and summer food plots. Plans are to run the water well 3" line into a catch system(tanks) and then use a gas pump and a line(hose) to service the sprinklers. Or do u guys have any suggestions. I was thinking by using a catch tank to fill from the well, I would be able to move the tank from one food plot to the other , as needed. I am open to other recommendations. Any suggestions would be helpful Thanks

Could you post up the specs for the well? I wanted something similar but only got about a third of the flow that you have. Would like to know what horse power pump and the size of the pipe that was used out of the well.

Comment

To be honest, I am not sure what size pump is in the well, I had a water well company do the work. I can tell u the pump was around $3000.00 cost and I think the pipe in the well is 4" from what I saw

Comment

What is is the distance from the well to the plots?

Comment

http://www.kifco.com/our-products

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHillRanch View Post
            Have you or anyone else used it??

Comment

Originally posted by SoTxHunter View Post
              Have you or anyone else used it??
              I have one, needs 50 psi and about 30 gpm

Comment

Could you use a booster pump out of a water holding tank?

Comment

If the plots are more than 500 yards from the well, the friction of the pipe will seriously reduce your pressure making it difficult to use sprinklers. A secondary tank with a pump next to the plot will give you enough pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHillRanch View Post
                    That is a really smart-looking option! I like the battery-powered model with the solar panel. If anyone has used one of them, please give us a report.

Comment

I've been wanting to do this. I have a tank and a pump but just haven't put anything together yet. I do run water out on the food plot but I'm constantly moving it and a sprinkler sure would be nice.

Comment

An update on what I have done since asking for suggestions on the first post. WATERWELL at 65gpm+-. Ran 3" fastline 6/10 mi from well to catch tank, purchased 5.5 Honda trash pump (water pump), and 2" flex hose 100' from catch tank to Big sprinkler 2000S (big sprinkler.com) takes 3300 gals to put 1" of water on 1 acre food plot. I will be testing this week on fertilizer on wheat 3/4 acre and 3/4 acre of winter oats in 1 1/2 acre food plot. The 3300 gal figure came from guy at Big Sprinkler from Oklahoma. Sounds like a lot of water to me, so I will be keeping close eye on volume, so I can make adjustments on my other 6 food plots. I hope it does not take 3300 gals of water per 1 acre because some of the food plots are way back from the well. I may have to let Mother Nature take care of those wildlife plots.

Comment

43560 sq ft in an acre x 0.833 x 7.48= 27,214 gallons of water. He missed the last step in the math.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                            43560 sq ft in an acre x 0.833 x 7.48= 27,214 gallons of water. He missed the last step in the math.
                            I was thinking the 3300 gallon figure seemed low. I don't think we realize how much rain falls (amount of gallons) to put 1 inch of rain into a rain gauge. Rain is the best form of irrigation. The only problem is that it is slim to none in my neck of the woods.

Comment

Working...
                            X