Night Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Hunting

Any of y'all do night hunting with a bow? It seems like, from searching, most people have problem seeing their fiber optic sight. I have a light on my sight so I'm not worried about that, what concerns me is getting enough light to see through my peep. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Take it out is the only sure fire cure practice that way some before you head out. Maybe throw a kisser button on and find a couple other anchor points l. Like where you thumb hits where the string hits your nose. Good to have a few anchor points when you go peepless.

Comment

If you have enough light directed toward your intended target you shouldn't have an issue seeing your pins providing your peep is large enough. I use a green light attached to my bow stabilizer rigged with a pressure switch attached to the bow grip. When I come to full draw I activate the light and bring the bow down to my target. Also, practice at night with your setup so you can become familiar with it in the dark. I now practice more at night with my bow light than in daylight......less nosey neighbors at night. Lol
      Last edited by joel45acp; 07-22-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

led hunting lighting for hog and predator hunting, makers of the best hunting lights available the Kill Light®, XLR 100, XLR 252, XLR 250, HD Series, 250HD, 500HD, 750HD, Outfitter, Sportsman, piglet light, feeder lights, gun lights, bow lights, blood tracking lights, led lights, hunting

Comment

The pigs I hunt don’t care what light color you have they run as soon as I hit the light. Try to hunt during a full moon and stay out of thick cover that restricts the moon light. Have just enough light on my pin to illuminate it so there is no glare and shoot with both eyes open.
          Last edited by Jcjohnson; 07-22-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
            The pigs I hunt don’t care what light color you have they run as soon as I hit the light. Try to hunt during a full moon and stay out of thick cover that restricts the moon light. Have just enough light on my pin to illuminate it so there is no glare and shoot with both eyes open.

I have the same issue. I have a green laser focused beam flashlight I mounted to my bow and the pigs are amazingly fast running from it. I think it might be too bright. I’m experimenting with more diffused lights to see if that helps. I just bought a non-focused red light and am hoping to test it soon.

Notable is that the coons I see are not spooked whatsoever when I hit them with the green light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been wanting to try this. I have a green light I can mount on stab and a pressure switch. I wondered what to do about the peep/sight alignment though. I guess you guys are just shooting close enough distances that it doesn’t matter if you’re off a little? Doesn’t seem like anyone is doing anything to make it where they can see and verify the alignment is right in the peep.

D

Comment

Originally posted by dk_ace View Post
                I’ve been wanting to try this. I have a green light I can mount on stab and a pressure switch. I wondered what to do about the peep/sight alignment though. I guess you guys are just shooting close enough distances that it doesn’t matter if you’re off a little? Doesn’t seem like anyone is doing anything to make it where they can see and verify the alignment is right in the peep.

D

Peep alignment is really tough at night for sure. If the target is illuminated at least a little (and your pins too) I find I can get to my anchor point and then make minor adjustments with my head to achieve alignment with the peep. It’s not automatic for me though. I’m always pretty close when I get to full draw but finding the perfect alignment with my sight housing means taking slightly more rime. I do think a kisser button would help a lot. I also think a lighter colored peep, maybe white?, would show up just enough to aid in alignment at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want to see your peep at night, get some glow paint and paint the outside of your peep. Simply shine a light on the glow paint for a couple of minutes right before dark and it will glow for at least a couple hours if you use quality glow paint. I did this for years before I removed my peep. If you only use glow paint it will probably peel off after a bunch of shots. I fixed this by mixing the glow paint with 2 part clear expoxy.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                    If you want to see your peep at night, get some glow paint and paint the outside of your peep. Simply shine a light on the glow paint for a couple of minutes right before dark and it will glow for at least a couple hours if you use quality glow paint. I did this for years before I removed my peep. If you only use glow paint it will probably peel off after a bunch of shots. I fixed this by mixing the glow paint with 2 part clear expoxy.
                    That’s a cool idea, thanks!

D

Comment

I have permanent light setups at both places I hunt pigs. They are LED photocell controlled lights with solar panels. On at dark, and off about 5 hours later when the batteries are down. I also use a Glo-Peep on my bow--"charge" it for about a minute with a light and it is good for several hours. lighted pins too, but turned way low.

This is one type of light I use:

Here is another, but I use about 4 to 6 of them at the feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by dk_ace View Post

D
                        I added a kisser button to help with the peep/sight alignment issue

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                          Same here-red, green, blue--no matter. That is why I have lights at all my hog feeders. They are photocell controlled ones and white but after a couple of nights at most, the hogs are comfortable and come right in to catch my arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                            Same here-red, green, blue--no matter. That is why I have lights at all my hog feeders. They are photocell controlled ones and white but after a couple of nights at most, the hogs are comfortable and come right in to catch my arrows.
                            I’ve never tried them, gonna have to give them a shot. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X