Brakes for Ford Super Duty Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
    Yes. The Z36 kit. I got the front and rear but only installed the front.
    That is disappointing to hear. Are you sure you got the right kit for your year/make/model? I know that is a long shot and it would be shocking if the wrong model would fit but stranger things have happened. The only reason I ask is because a bunch of the reviews on Amazon said to make sure you are ordering the correct kit by double checking part number on Power Stop's web site. I guess there is some common mistakes that happen with sellers and part numbers.

Comment

Here is a picture of what I have in now. You can still see the dust on the rim from the old ones. I haven’t run through the car wash yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I bet that 6 piston Willwood kit will eject you from your seat if you dont have your seat belt on.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        Picture of the rotor on the truck.
        Cool write up. I just swapped rotors on my truck two weeks ago, and wishing I did pads right away too. Just out of curiousity, do you spend much time offroad? We used to run drilled rotors, but after getting gravel and mud trapped in the grooves for the millionth time, we went back to regular disks.

Side note, did you had a jackstand under that truck outside the photo?? I have heard too many horror stories of guys leaving their truck on a jack only to have the jack fail, and they end up under an axle, or pinned against a wall.
        Last edited by WItoTX; 12-11-2018, 08:36 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
          That is disappointing to hear. Are you sure you got the right kit for your year/make/model? I know that is a long shot and it would be shocking if the wrong model would fit but stranger things have happened. The only reason I ask is because a bunch of the reviews on Amazon said to make sure you are ordering the correct kit by double checking part number on Power Stop's web site. I guess there is some common mistakes that happen with sellers and part numbers.
          I’m absolutely positive it was the correct set. I had multiple calls and discussions with their tech support. Per tech support, we did all the things “they usually do when customers report this problem”. Look at the Amazon 1 star reviews for pictures. I’d go back to stock OEM before using z36’s. Don’t bet your life on the Z36. They may fail at the worst time.

Comment

I do spend quite a bit of time on construction sites and on dirt roads going to my lease that gets pretty sloppy when it rains. To be perfectly honest I didnt think about the drilled sections getting filled with mud. I guess I will see how it goes and report back after some time in the mud.

I have belts and suspenders for supporting the truck. I have a set of jack stands that I can not recall the weight rating on them so I got one jack stand not in the picture and the jack under the truck with a little bit of pressure on it also. Technically the jack can shift so I made sure the majority of the weight was on the stands. I am 99% confident that they are at least 2 ton stands which should be sufficient for the truck. I am with you on the horror stories. Many folks have lost their life that way. Even with both of these in place I made dang sure that I was never directly under the rotor in the event that the truck fell off.

Comment

I’m absolutely positive it was the correct set. I had multiple calls and discussions with their tech support. Per tech support, we did all the things “they usually do when customers report this problem”. Look at the Amazon 1 star reviews for pictures. I’d go back to stock OEM before using z36’s. Don’t bet your life on the Z36. They may fail at the worst time.
              Gotcha. I wonder what the root cause is for the folks that have issues with these kits. I just looked at the reviews for one their kits on amazon that appears to be for F150's in the 2013-2014 area, probably more years but this is what people mention in the reviews. It conveniently has 100 reviews so it makes it easy to attribute percentages of stars given. 79 people gave is 5 stars and 11 gave it 4. So 90 out of 100 were happy with them and based on what I read on the 4's I personally would have made most of the 5's........ some people just dont like to give out 5's which I understand. 3 gave them 3 stars and 3 gave them 2. 4 gave them 1 star. You had 10 people give 3 stars or less. Most of the reasoning for the poor rating had nothing to do with performance. I just read them all, only 3 out of the 10 were issues with performance. All the others were an issue with parts being wrong or the packaging being damaged in shipping. Also take into consideration that most people, unfortunately I am guilty of this, that dont have issues never come back to give something a good rating. However if they have a bad experience you bet you butt they are going to go and give a bad review. So I guess what I am saying is that I would bet that all the folks that had a bad experience made a review but who knows how many people that had a great experience didnt make a review. Like I said, I am guilty of this not only on this product but almost all of my other purchases.

By no means am I questioning your experience and I appreciate you sharing your experience. Also i am not trying to say that I have found a great combination of components to make the best brake kit ever available. If I had the budget to get a kit that has more pistons in the caliper I would have been all over it because there is no question that this is the way to go. I just dont understand how 97 out of 100 folks have no issues with performance but 3 do. Maybe that is acceptable manufacturing tolerances for deviations......... obviously I am speculating now.

Comment

I understand. I wasn’t trying to dis your post. I just wanted people to have another view point from my experience. My first set of pads fell apart after 2 months and 8000 miles during a hard brake on 59 and almost caused an accident. I’m not the only one who had the issue. Hopefully no one else has any problems.

Comment

I understand. I wasn’t trying to dis your post. I just wanted people to have another view point from my experience. My first set of pads fell apart after 2 months and 8000 miles during a hard brake on 59 and almost caused an accident. I’m not the only one who had the issue. Hopefully no one else has any problems.
                  You are good man. I am always in favor of hearing first hand experience instead of hearing some sales pitch by a manufacturer or a shop.

Your experience is scary to say the least. Have you owned that truck since it was new? The only reason I ask is because I used to work at a salvage yard and some of the stuff some of the shops/car lots rigged up to "fix" vehicles was almost unbelievable.

Comment

Yes sir. Brand new 2015 F150 Platinum. Never in a wreck. Had 40k miles when I decided to change to the Z36 kit. Factory brakes didn’t need to be replaced but I thought I’d upgrade.

Comment

That is disappointing especially considering how much time and money you got into it........ not to mention someone could have been hurt.

Comment

I didnt know they stil crossdrilled thought that was proven to crack over time jsut go slotted

Comment

Thanks for the write up I got 80k on my f250 and was wondering about breaks and when they may need to be changed. I have seen their kits on one of the car/truck tv shows and wondered how they worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                            I didnt know they stil crossdrilled thought that was proven to crack over time jsut go slotted
                            That is an issue with rotors of lesser quality is what I have found.

Comment

What are the best pads for F250’s
                              Hate the squeaking and brake dust on the factory ones on my 2016

Comment

Originally posted by knapper View Post
                                What are the best pads for F250’s
                                Hate the squeaking and brake dust on the factory ones on my 2016
                                Whichever brake pad you go with, don't get Ceramics. Ceramics don't grip rotors as well and don't have the same stopping power of semi-metallic. This is especially true for those towing heavy loads. Personally, I can deal with brake dust if it means I can stop 40' sooner in a emergency situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X