Alternative to generators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to generators?

I've gone back and forth before the current fiasco on getting a whole house generator or a couple of higher end inverter generators. The problem I have with them is that they aren't cheap and can't really be used until the day of need, if that ever comes. I have an all electric house and there isn't a nat gas line here so propane would be my only option.

From all that I've read, keeping the whole house on a backup gen running propane would be hella expensive and maybe last a week at most. The 14KW Kohler which is still rather small would burn 2.2 gal per hour. That means running 24x7 would net me about 4.5 days with a 250 gal tank. The cost of the genset and install (5Kish), 250 gallon tank ($1200ish) and fill it ($625), I'd have about $7 grand in something I may never need. That's an awfully expensive insurance policy.

So I started thinking... (that's dangerous for me and everyone around me). Why not get a wood burning stove that is uber efficient and can at least run 8 hours or so and keep my living room toasty? I can close off rooms to stay warm. Wood burning stoves can also boil water and cook. That would take care of heating which is the most concerning part.

I have a well and a 2500 gallon retention tank uphill so even without power I'd have running water.

That leaves me with my refrigerator, morning coffee, and possibly the microwave. The fridge runs about 800-900 watts (at least mine does) so a smaller inverter and a couple of 100lb tanks on wheels is a much smaller investment. It could easily run the fridge and occasional small appliance. Coupled with a butane stove and lots of butane cans, I can still survive. That said, a 100 lb tank is probably on 3ish full days of 3400watt inverter generator so two of them is still only about 6 days non-stop. I'd feel better if it was a full week but close enough. Assuming I see the failure coming, I'd buy a bit more propane and/or gasoline to extend. Worst case, I'd siphon out of one of my vehicles and could probably stretch to two weeks easy as I never let my vehicles go below 1/2 tank and we have three so I'd likely have 20ish gallons of gas or about 4 days worth of gen time.

What else am I missing?

I'm going to play the devils advocate here. What you describe is a lot of work to get ready, a lot of moving parts.

My thoughts are, you aren't home when a storm blows in and it's just your wife and kids. Do you want her handling all the duties to get ready to get power running.

You're out of town when something happens, no power equals spoiled food, frozen pipes and who knows what else.

You stated a 7k insurance policy you'll never use. Have 1 broken water line and tell us how that 7k insurance policy would be now.

My vote is for a generator. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wood burning stove is a great investment, not even considering loosing power. It will not help you in the summer though. A 5-7kw generator will run an ac system in the summer as well as central fan to distribute heat in winter. In the summer you can cool just one room, in winter you need to somewhat heat entire house.
      No reason to need propane when you use gas everyday. Get a storage tank and use treatment. Use it and have it filled once or twice a year.

Comment

My vote is dual fuel generator.

But if you are looking for alternatives, have you looked at the Tesla power wall? Would give you about 24 hours of electricity but you could probably turn off non-essential items and make it last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post

But if you are looking for alternatives, have you looked at the Tesla power wall? Would give you about 24 hours of electricity but you could probably turn off non-essential items and make it last longer.
          I neglected to mention that I have 8.1KW of solar already. I'll be adding probably 4-5KW more later this year. I don't have a battery system yet but will start looking at that when the prices come down. A Tesla Powerwall is like $10 grand plus install and can deliver roughly 1KW of load per hour and last a day...

Noted on travel. Fortunately I don't travel much and would most certainly be returning home if there was a possible disaster on the horizon.

I have a 14K BTU portable air conditioner that I use regularly so I'll know if it fails. It could certainly keep one room cooler in the summer. It uses about 1200 watts or so full tilt so I could run that and the fridge with a smaller inverter.

I guess I hadn't really considered gasoline storage but I know there are companies that deliver fuel. Given I have 3 cars it would be easy enough to have a large storage tank filled and fill the cars from that instead of the station and that would keep it fresh.
          Last edited by ken800; 02-21-2021, 01:20 PM.

Comment

1 I hate all electric houses. There that’s out of the way.

Your wood burning stove is going to be $2500 or more. And you will still have need for generators on some level. So I think ultimately it is a wash or close to money wise. What happens if the outage happens at the end of July and your house is 90° instead of 30? That wood burning stove is going to cook for you, but it ain’t going to cool. I also can’t get on board with the notion that you will have running water from the retention tank, that line could freeze and leave you without water.

Like security, surviving natural disasters requires layers and contingencies. Dual fuel (gasoline/propane) genny that can run your AC, well, and other necessities in intervals and the stove for heating is a valid approach.

Also read the thread with the interlock video in it. May be a fiscally conservative answer to a whole home generator that meets your power needs around $2-3,000 rather than 7k
            Last edited by Playa; 02-21-2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

He's concerned the generators he's looking at aren't cheap and you suggest the Tesla Powerwall? LOL

Comment

This is always an option, having the ability to store energy can help smooth out the peak usage, i.e. running a generator (or other form of energy generation) to charge the wall during the day then using it to run a heater or pump.

In theory thats the whole point of water towers with water delivery. If the "grid" could store energy for a few days, this whole fiasco would have been lessened.

Comment

I keep 2 2000w inverters, largest 110 window unit I could find. During this last outage I just used 1 generator to run the tv and ref. Most of the time we loose power is going to be warm, not cold. That’s where the 2nd one comes in, to run the window unit to keep the downstairs cool.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    He's concerned the generators he's looking at aren't cheap and you suggest the Tesla Powerwall? LOL
                    Powerwall has the potential to recoup your money on a daily basis especially with a solar array already hooked up...charge the wall with solar during the day, sell it back to the grid at high peak usage times.

Comment

A full freezer will stay frozen for several days if you keep the door closed. You may loose things like ice cream but meat will still be good.
                      I always keep my freezer full, even if it is with bottles of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie13 View Post
                        Powerwall has the potential to recoup your money on a daily basis especially with a solar array already hooked up...charge the wall with solar during the day, sell it back to the grid at high peak usage times.
                        I don't personally know if this is true, but several people in my neighborhood said they are not allowed to put power back on the grid with a solar array.

Either way, it would take a dozen or more years to pay back the $8k for materials only. Not to mention labor.

Comment

How did that solar with for you with snow and ice on it? They are useless for emergencies. I got by for 36 hours with a 5k
                          watt portable generator running my gas furnace, a few lights, my fridge and a small microwave. This storm was a one in a lifetime storm. Don't overthink or overspend for something that will probably never happen again.

Comment

I bought a 13,000 watt dual fuel generator a while back that can run all of my 110 stuff, including the fireplace fan and the heat pump fan. It will run my cooktop and probably my oven, maybe not both at once. It will run my water well pump when I need it to. When the power goes down, I just have to flip the main breaker, flip the generator breaker, turn off the stuff I don’t need, and fire up the generator. A tank full of gas and three refills should get me through most of our outages. If not the three 30 lb. propane tanks are standing by. It’s gonna have to get pretty bad if we can’t struggle through with that. I have less than $2K in all of that.

I hope you’re right about the once in a lifetime event Dean, I can do without this !
                            Last edited by Drycreek3189; 02-21-2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                              I keep 2 2000w inverters, largest 110 window unit I could find. During this last outage I just used 1 generator to run the tv and ref. Most of the time we loose power is going to be warm, not cold. That’s where the 2nd one comes in, to run the window unit to keep the downstairs cool.
                              This is my approach. I will be buying a window unit I can use if needed. I also have space heaters which each take up one generator. The good thing is, the refrigerator doesn't need to run 24/7. I only plugged it in when we were opening it at meal time and about an hour after to cool it down good. Summer time I have a deep freezer and second refrigerator to contend with too, but I think I can manage. These small generators are very fuel efficient, easy to move, and I can use for other power needs if I want, ie camping, working on deer stands in the field, etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X