Insurance claim/Hail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance claim/Hail

I got hail damage to my dodge truck. It has been paid off for years. Germania insurance want to make my check out to me and the body shop I am getting it repaired at. I want the check made out to only me since there is not lean holder and I can get it repaired when and where I want to.

Do I have a choice or is there some requirement / law that says they have to make it out to me and the body shop.

I believe you will have to check your coverage through Germania, I have State farm and with my comprehensive coverage I can take my vehicle to any shop of my choosing.

Comment

If you own it free and clear they have to make the check out to you, personally, if that's what you want. Any other "co-payee" is forcing you to do that and Texas law doesn't allow them to do that.

Comment

Texas law. Can not make you go any anywhere. The ins. Companies try to skirt the law all the time.................

Comment

Tell them you changed your mind and no longer plan to use the shop you already told them you planned to use and request the check made out to you only

Comment

Going through hail damage claim with State Farm. They asked if I wanted check sent to me or body shop, not both. Insurance will always under estimate & body shop will have to ask for supplement to get more $ from insurance to cover the work. Not sure about your insurance but State Farm is not doing any in person estimates/adjustments so that affects their ability to estimate. Going to be hard for them to see all the hail damage in just a few photos.

Comment

I would tell them that you are the registered owner no money is owed on it the body shop has absolutely no tie to your truck so make the check out to the registered owner there’s no law/rule stating that they have to do that they just do it

Comment

They wanted a copy of the title. They said they would send the check to me "Directly" after receiving the clear title. Then after I faxed a copy of the clear title(since2006) they said it would be issued to me and the body shop. I also told them I wanted a report of what the adjuster said needed to be repaired. Still waiting for a response from them on that as well.

Comment

I also have germania. I tried getting them to write me a check personally as well so I can take it where I want, but they wouldn’t. I got quotes at different body shops and then germania wrote the check for the estimate. If it was more than they wrote another check for it.

Comment

I just dealt with this on a claim, the other drivers insurance would only make repair check out to me and the repair shop not just me or repair shop , I had no problem with it as I wanted my truck repaired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Make them take off the name of the repair shop....its your truck, not theirs. You could take that money and go to Disney if you wanted, it’s none of their business.

Comment

An insurance contract is there to return your property to pre-loss condition. By law you’re not supposed to be able to profit from a claim so they’re probably just wanting to make sure you’re using the money for the repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          An insurance contract is there to return your property to pre-loss condition. By law you’re not supposed to be able to profit from a claim so they’re probably just wanting to make sure you’re using the money for the repairs.
                          I have had hail damages several times over the years on homes, campers, and vehicles with other companies. None of them had lien holders and all had clear titles. I have always been issued checks made out to me "only" in the past. If they insist on going this route, I will go ahead and have it repaired and cancel my insurance with them after I return my free rental car that they provide while my truck is in the shop. Then they will never have a chance to recover any of their money paid on the claim($6800) with future premiums. This is also the first time I have ever filed a claim with them of any kind.

Comment

What if you wanted to perform the repairs yourself instead of using a body shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a hail claim through geico. Took the vehicle to their approved shop for an estimate and left the same day with a check since there was no lien. I never fixed the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X