Child Selling Tomatoes - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child Selling Tomatoes - Question

My 5 son really enjoyed growing and picking cherry tomatoes last year. I wanted to teach him a good lesson in working hard and getting rewarded this upcoming season by having him grow, pick and sell some cherry tomatoes to either folks in neighborhood or a roadside stand and earn enough for some new toys. Was just going to purchase these containers and have him create a sticker label. Now for the sad part...what kind or legal/liability hurdles can I expect to run into doing this?
    Attached Files

If you sell strawberries as tomatoes you may get sued for deceptive trade practices. :-)

Comment

I'm not sure on the legal stuff but I sold many a cup of the stoutest, jaw clenching lemonade in SETX when I was a kid at my moms garage sales and never got sued.

Comment

My kids are gearing up to sell firewood and produce from the garden and some eggs. We’re keeping it pretty informal, garden market, not labels or containers, just plastic shopping bags if anything. There are lightened rules for smaller scale farm markets and whatnot if you want to be super formal and pay the man. Our approach is keep it simple, and go from there. Straight cash homie. I love the effect transitioning from a cash economy and trading to paying taxes has on a young entrepreneur. Sadly, it seems kids stand to lose more selling lemonade and tomatoes than they do pot. Never heard of a kid getting an audit, or paying municipal fines/fees for peddling weed.

Comment

Do your thing and dont ask the Gov for permission.
          Any cop that will shake down a kid for this is a D-Bag.
          There are plenty of cops out there that fit the bill though LOL

Comment

We used to sell them all the time. My mother worked for a water district and in the drying beds that's the only plant that would survive.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it’s a great idea. It would be great if us tbh members could buy some through the mail To reward his hard work. Maybe without actually even getting the tomatoes [emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                If you sell strawberries as tomatoes you may get sued for deceptive trade practices. :-)
                haha

Comment

I believe Texas has strong protections for cottage industry sales. I'm sure they'd want you to pay taxes on the proceeds but you don't need to worry about FDA inspections or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                    I believe Texas has strong protections for cottage industry sales. I'm sure they'd want you to pay taxes on the proceeds but you don't need to worry about FDA inspections or anything.
                    So I guess the correct thing to do is to keep record of sales and include the with my end of year taxes since there is not business of any sort formed?

Comment

I have no idea but you might check with someone who sales fruit and veggies at a farmers market. Might keep you out of trouble. Just a thought.

Comment

tomatoes

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        So I guess the correct thing to do is to keep record of sales and include the with my end of year taxes since there is not business of any sort formed?
                        May be the correct way....but I'd take my chances, especially since the kids are doing majority of it. I'm sure you already pay enough taxes!

Comment

Include a recipe for salsa on a printed card. They are buying the recipe and the tomatoes are free.

Comment

Take em to the farmers market

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                              Any cop that will shake down a kid for this is a D-Bag.
                              There are plenty of cops out there that fit the bill though LOL
                              I know right? Most of the cops I've ran into in my life hate kids. It's pretty much a requirement.

Comment

Working...
                              X