No announcement yet.

Best 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford only offered the 7.3 gas in the F250 with 3.55 or 4.30 gearing. That is the reason I went with the F350, I wanted the 3.73 gears.

Comment

I’m still driving my 2004 Ram 2500 diesel and have thought about a new truck but my dodge keeps on running great with no issues. Hard to justify buying a new one when my old one is running great.

Comment

the 6.7 diesel motor in the Fords is a beast. and when the Def goes out just have it deleted. I have a 2012 with 260k on it and the only major issue I have had is when the DEF went out at a 150K. Deleted it and never looked back.

Comment

My advice would get the truck that you like best or can find the best deal on. I think these days they are all pretty close to eachother in performance.

What I think you should do for sure is get a 1 ton. It would be pretty hard to hit the payload capacity on a 1 ton but it is hit pretty easy on a 3/4.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
            I’m still driving my 2004 Ram 2500 diesel and have thought about a new truck but my dodge keeps on running great with no issues. Hard to justify buying a new one when my old one is running great.
            I am in the same boat with my 08 F250. My problem is the truck I want has a MSRP above $80k and that just aint going to happen anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
              Have y’all had much trouble with the Def in the first 80k miles? That’s about the time I trade them in. The added cost for maintenance as far as oil changes and things of such isn’t a big deal for me. I just don’t want to be stranded and having to deal with a def issue. My last diesel was used & deleted it right off the back & has been great, but I’m not deleting this one due to warranty. The def is my biggest hold up. I’ve heard good things about the 7.3, but comparing stats online it really doesn’t have that much more than the 6.2 or at least from what I’ve seen.
              Ram is a serious consideration just don’t know much about them and need to drive it.
              I had my DEF heater go out on a trip to Colorado and none of the dealerships had any parts due to COVID. I made that entire 2500 mile trip and my truck never did a regen or left me stranded or went into limp mode. One of the dealerships told me the transportation safety board will not let manufacturers any longer throw their vehicles into limp mode because of emissions issues when programming the computers. Not sure how true that is. They all told me just to keep driving it until they had the parts to fix under warranty, so I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                My advice would get the truck that you like best or can find the best deal on. I think these days they are all pretty close to eachother in performance.

What I think you should do for sure is get a 1 ton. It would be pretty hard to hit the payload capacity on a 1 ton but it is hit pretty easy on a 3/4.
                I agree and did not put that in my post. The difference in price between a 3/4 and 1 ton is negligible but the payload and tow ratings in most cases are significant.
                For example, my F350 has a payload rating of 4226 lbs. My previous F250 with the same engine was 2496 lbs. No brainer in my opinion to get a 1 ton.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am in that 3/4 ton category, now having sellers regret on payloads.
                  I don’t think I will go back to diesel unless it’s a duel .
                  Gas has come along way, and IMO diesel is just to technical emissions nightmare, And delete isn’t going to happen with the epa hammer watching

The f350 7.3 would be my choice

Comment

I have a 2018 Duramax with 96,000 radio went out at 52,000 no other problems

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                      I agree and did not put that in my post. The difference in price between a 3/4 and 1 ton is negligible but the payload and tow ratings in most cases are significant.
                      For example, my F350 has a payload rating of 4226 lbs. My previous F250 with the same engine was 2496 lbs. No brainer in my opinion to get a 1 ton.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                      I am suprised your F250 payload was that high. Most I have seen are between 1900-2100. Was it a gas?

Comment

I've been happy so far with the 7.3l 250

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
                          I had a 2017 3/4 ton 6.2 Ford. I pulled a 70hp Kubota on a 20' gooseneck more times than I cared to count and a 5 bale hay king. The truck would flat out pull anything I had. Owned 3 diesel trucks before that and was more than pleased with the power the 6.2 had. I would also pull a 20' cattle trailer full of calves to the sale barn a couple times a year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                          Ihave a 2013 F250 @ 6.2 but I do not haul very heavy loads very often. I did pull a Chevy 1500 on a car hauler back from Corpus to west Texas last year and just put it in 5th and pulled it just great. I actually think I would opt for the F350 if I had to do it again simply for the towing capacity. I have a JD 310 back hoe that weights around 12.5K and my F250 is a tad short on tow capacity with trailer and all. My 6.2 DOES NOT get good mileage towing or not towing but it is consistent. I really like the truck though and does everything I have asked it to do, except go through mud, it doesn't do mud very well.

Comment

I have a 2020 ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi I like it so far. I had a 2004 dodge with a Cummins before and my new truck will out pull it. When I bought this new truck I new I didn’t want a diesel just so I didn’t have to deal with the emissions junk. I’m not a Ford guy, but I have also heard good things about that7.3 gas motor

Comment

I am suprised your F250 payload was that high. Most I have seen are between 1900-2100. Was it a gas?
                              Yes, it was a 2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.2 gas engine. I traded it with less than 10,000 miles on it because I was way over payload hauling my slide in truck camper. I bought my new one specifically with payload in mind.

Comment

If I were to buy a heavy duty gas truck it would be an F350 with the 7.3 gas engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X