Recurve Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve Recommendations

So I’m wanting to take the plunge and get a recurve to eventually take a deer with. I started off with a Bear recurve about 40 years ago but have been strictly a compound shooter all of my adult life.

Appreciate any recommendations on what brand/model - below are my specs:

- lefty
    - 28” draw (estimating/I’m a 29.5” with compound)
    - 45 or 50lb draw weight
    - ability to mount a quiver

Any good places to look online like 3Rivers?

G.

My suggestion is shoot as many as you can. I bought to many to could both new and used. Tradgang,leatherwall and here lol. I bought several widows new and used during that time. I really like the belly foward style riser and they shot really well for me. I finally settled on a timberghost recurve that has that type ruser design. Sold everything else, thats how well it shoots for me. Lots of good ones out there. Ford vs chevy kinda deal!
    Last edited by killerbee; 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee View Post
      My suggestion is shoot as many as you can. I bought to many to could both new and used. Tradgang,leatherwall and here lol. I bought several widows new and used during that time. I really like the belly foward style riser and they shot really well for me. I finally settled on a timberghost recurve that has that type ruser design. Sold everything else, thats how well it shoots for me. Lots of good ones out there. Ford vs chevy kinda deal!
      Thanks - pretty overwhelming with all the info so need to find some places where I can try them out + they have lefty’s..

Comment

Recurve Recommendations

If you are just starting with Trad shooting, you might think about a good starter bow like a samik sage or black hunter. Those can be had for under $150, and you should start out with a lighter draw weight, like no more than about 40#. Once you have the basics down you can move up if desired. If you go to 3D shoots and meet other Trad shooters, you can get to try other bows and decide what you like best.

Sarrels Archery
        Primal Tech Bows
        Bob Lee Archery
        Navajo Bows

Those are just a few well respected bow makers right here in TX. There are a thousand others all over. What works for any particular guy is really a personal preference thing!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          If you are just starting with Trad shooting, you might think about a good starter bow like a samik sage or black hunter. Those can be had for under $150, and you should start out with a lighter draw weight, like no more than about 40#. Once you have the basics down you can move up if desired. If you go to 3D shoots and meet other Trad shooters, you can get to try other bows and decide what you like best.

Sarrels Archery
          Primal Tech Bows
          Bob Lee Archery
          Navajo Bows

Those are just a few well respected bow makers right here in TX. There are a thousand others all over. What works for any particular guy is really a personal preference thing!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Thanks Bisch - that resonates with me!

Comment

Try. traditionarcherysales.com
            Len Busby sells used bows. He has great reputation. I have bought 3 bows from him and all were as represented.

Comment

Palmer

Comment

I would look at a Black Hunter (as mentioned above). I own maybe 40 bows from Black Widow, Bear and Shakespeare and a custom Northern Mist longbow.

I found a one year old used Black Hunter longbow on another site for $80.00 delivered. That bow is one of the nicest shooting bows I own and at 40#'s it has a ton of snap to it.

Comment

Kifarucast did a podcast with Tradlab back in October reviewing different bowyers and what to look for in a bow design. You can also go to Tradlab's website for bow testing data. 3Rivers, Lancaster, and RMSGear seem to have the widest selection of bows, and RMSG has used bows for sale at various times. Stalker Stickbows has a "test drive" program where you only pay for shipping (~$45).

Comment

Working...
                  X