No announcement yet.

Fixed wireless internet . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorta on topic question, my Weboost antenna is about 20’ up currently and we get a fair signal in the house. If I raise the antenna higher , will it improve the signal?

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
      Sorta on topic question, my Weboost antenna is about 20’ up currently and we get a fair signal in the house. If I raise the antenna higher , will it improve the signal?
      Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
        And I'm lost. I'm computer illiterate, but started working as an Electrical Drafter (go figure) about 8 mos ago.

Figger they'd run me off but instead they gave me a slap on the back & $2.50 per hr raise, at my 6 mo review (didnt even do a true review - $ just showed up on check (I ain't telling nobody).

Seems there's a virus going around. Bad enough that our company is sending us home to work.

I need internet, yesterday.

Any y'all nerds wanna tell me what I need? (joke).

I have elec and indoor plumbing.

The tv satellite feller said nothing's available through them. Or least that's the best I could understand he was saying. I'm not real fluent in English, and neither was he.

I'll be downloading lots of large files often. Running Autocad drawings. So speed is key.

OTR?
        What's the timeframe of ordering it, to using it? And will they do a turn key job? Plug & play? Boosters, routers, modems, burritos, etc.... ?

Any info/advice is appreciated.

D.
        Did you look into Rise. I think they work in your area. Google 4G LTE internet service and it will come up with several options, many are pretty expensive though. Would have recommended what I am using but seems their customer service is non-existent. Sorry I recommended them in the past.

Comment

Our neighborhood when we moved, Rise (then rhino but same company) was the only option. We now have a better local. Another friend of mine still has Rise in his neighborhood. I can not recommend against them enough. we paid for i believe 25/5 speeds. On avg day we were 1-3/.5 speeds during non-peak times. It crashed prettymuch every day. Their customer service is horrible. I think they stay in business because they are the only option in some places

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
            And I'm lost. I'm computer illiterate, but started working as an Electrical Drafter (go figure) about 8 mos ago.

Figger they'd run me off but instead they gave me a slap on the back & $2.50 per hr raise, at my 6 mo review (didnt even do a true review - $ just showed up on check (I ain't telling nobody).

Seems there's a virus going around. Bad enough that our company is sending us home to work.

I need internet, yesterday.

Any y'all nerds wanna tell me what I need? (joke).

I have elec and indoor plumbing.

The tv satellite feller said nothing's available through them. Or least that's the best I could understand he was saying. I'm not real fluent in English, and neither was he.

I'll be downloading lots of large files often. Running Autocad drawings. So speed is key.

OTR?

What's the timeframe of ordering it, to using it? And will they do a turn key job? Plug & play? Boosters, routers, modems, burritos, etc.... ?

Any info/advice is appreciated.

D.
            If you use Rise, you will lose your job! Horrible speeds and even worse service. My wife had to retire from American after 25 yrs doing tech support because she couldn't stay connected from home and didnt want to drive 75 miles one way to work. We moved to the country because Rise (under a different name then but can't remember what it was) told us we would have no problem with their service doing what she would need for her work. They flat out lied. We couldn't even do normal web browsing without huge lags or losing connections. And their customer service is beyond terrible. Nextlink, if available for you, is really good.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
              If you use Rise, you will lose your job! Horrible speeds and even worse service. My wife had to retire from American after 25 yrs doing tech support because she couldn't stay connected from home and didnt want to drive 75 miles one way to work. We moved to the country because Rise (under a different name then but can't remember what it was) told us we would have no problem with their service doing what she would need for her work. They flat out lied. We couldn't even do normal web browsing without huge lags or losing connections. And their customer service is beyond terrible. Nextlink, if available for you, is really good.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
              Anyone else having issues with OTR today?

Agreed - had Rise for 2 years, we are 700 yards from the tower!!!!! And it was still horrific, had to call tech support on average 3x a week to get them work backend work as it wouldn’t stay connected. 4 different routers, satellites, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bringing this back to the top for any new options out there.

I switched from Hughesnet to a Verizon hotspot. This throttling BS has got to go!

OTR is still not taking new clients.

Comment

Originally posted by wisco-hunter View Post
                  my post from last June and still no problems, I'm also now streaming tv and have a smarthome running smart things, an echo, 5 arlo cameras, and a nest smoke alarm...

I recently moved out to the country in Wise county from the Dallas area and all I was offered for my internet/TV was DirectTV but I know directtv is awful. With the help of google and some of my buddies from work (we are in IT) I was able to get high speed internet for 60$ a month. I'm able to stream in HD and run multiple computers simultaneously with no latency. Luckily I'm on a shared verizon plan, so I just added a line which made it 3 lines on one plan. That makes the price for an unlimited plan line 60$. Before I got the line I made sure I had at least two bars of 4g LTE coverage with my cell phone. I then placed the sim card from the verizon store into a Nighthawk M1 mobile modem ($200-$250), this will give you up to 20 remote connections with 1 gig bandwidth and it's also 5G capable. The key is verizon throttles data from mobile hotspots so you can't stream hi def movies because they want to sell you home internet, that's why you can watch hi def youtube on your phone but can't stream hi def from your phone to your, also at certain levels (when you are above 22GB) your data gets throttled and is slow. To avoid this you buy a asus RT AC68U router ($100-$130) to connect to the nighthawk modem, the router is configurable and you can change the TTL frequency to simulate a cell phone (change to around 65) and boom, high speed, unlimited, unthrottled data. Now I'm saving money on my phone line $20 less a month and paying $30 less per month for internet, if you are in an area with good verizon coverage and are in the same situation I was feel free to PM me and I can hopefully answer any questions you may have. Also, I would like to add, I have a yagi antenna that I thought I was going to have to hook up to enhance my signal but it has not even been necessary, everything has run flawless for 3 weeks.
                  Would this work if I pulled the sim card out of a Verizon Hotspot? I'm guessing not.
                  Last edited by CabezaBlanca; 10-01-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I have Simnet, it works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                      I have Simnet, it works just fine.
                      Thanks. Would you elaborate on that please? Streaming? Multiple devices? Truly unlimited? No throttling?

Comment

I have speed of light broadband currently and am looking into nextlink. both are truly unlimited.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                          Thanks. Would you elaborate on that please? Streaming? Multiple devices? Truly unlimited? No throttling?
                          Same as Ubify, Blazing Hog, Olive IP, OTR, etc..
                          The cell companies cut these guys throats everytime they track down the block of sims they are running.
                          Thats why OTR shuts down, then finds a new sim seller, starts up again, cell company catches em, and you start all over.
                          All of this is a grey area technically.
                          When it works, it's unbeatable for the price point, if you live off the grid.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
                            I have speed of light broadband currently and am looking into nextlink. both are truly unlimited.
                            Both line of sight companies.
                            Unless you live in close proximity, or have good line of sight to a broadcast tower, installs can range into the $1000s.
                            Service is sub-par at best with most of these companies.
                            Nextlink is leading the pack, but there service dept is hit or miss depending on the employees they have in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              Same as Ubify, Blazing Hog, Olive IP, OTR, etc..
                              The cell companies cut these guys throats everytime they track down the block of sims they are running.
                              Thats why OTR shuts down, then finds a new sim seller, starts up again, cell company catches em, and you start all over.
                              All of this is a grey area technically.
                              When it works, it's unbeatable for the price point, if you live off the grid.
                              Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              Both line of sight companies.
                              Unless you live in close proximity, or have good line of sight to a broadcast tower, installs can range into the $1000s.
                              Service is sub-par at best with most of these companies.
                              Nextlink is leading the pack, but there service dept is hit or miss depending on the employees they have in your area.
                              Thanks for the info MH!

Comment

Working...
                              X