Hunt/Clean-up Get Together LBJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt/Clean-up Get Together LBJ

As we all talked about it a few months ago, the camping areas could use a little cleaning up. Along with a weekend in the woods cleaning, we could also do a little hunting. I hear there are some hogs out there with our names on them, squirrels are a dime a dozen and I hear there are some nice fish in the lakes. We all could either camp at Cottonwood Lake or Black Lake, (don't know which lake has the best fishing). This should be done after Turkey season so that we can clean the sites after we the hunters have been camped there.

So guys, give us your thoughts and what month would work for the most of you. Let's show the Rangers at LBJ Grasslands, we hunters do take pride in our hunting areas and will set examples for all other hunters.

I am in for this. I believe every little bit could help the hunters presence out at the Grasslands.

Comment

Im in i think this is a great idea

Comment

Lets do Phase I of "Operation Grassland's Trashman" during the LBJ Extreme Hunt, then use Phase II as an excuse to get back out there after turkey season and before it gets too warm. Last campout before summer as it were. Waddya thunk?

Dave in Denton

Comment

I may only be able to make one then turkey season. I am pretty busy the month of March but we will see. You know me I will try anything to get to the grasslands.

Comment

So what units is everybody hunting spring turkey in up there so i know to go to another spot that doesnt have anybody?

Comment

I really like the old gun range.

Comment

LBJ Cleanup

If you guys are serious about volunteering for a cleanup day let me know. I'll make sure ya'll are supplied with large heavy duty trash bags and make the dumpster at the LBJ Work Center available to dispose of the trash.

I'm one of the lands, mineral and recreation foresters on the District. We can sign you all up on a volunteer agreement. A cleanup day by the hunters would send a positive message to other users and the local public. I'm sure we could get some local media coverage.

We can be reached at the Caddo/LBJ District Office at (940) 627-5475. Ask for John Beck or David Weldon. We're both bowhunters who take the Forest Service motto to heart. "Caring for the Land and Serving People."

Comment

OK guys let's make a date and stick to it. I hate it when it's up in the iar and everyone don't know what is going on.

1. no campers?
                  2. tents or jungle hammocks
                  3. Eat what we kill?
                  4. Fishing poles

Come on guys.

Comment

Does most everyone here spring turkey hunt at LBJ? Used to go for several years until the masses hit. Between the hunters and horses, it seems to have gone downhill a little bit. I haven't been in two years, has it been any better? I know the birds are still there, but the experience became a little tainted.

Comment

i think there are plenty of areas holding birds, and not too mny people. what dates are you talking about for the cleanup/hunt? I cannot make the extreme hunt, but don't want to miss the second event. I think it is important that we as hunters and users of the land give something back, and solidify our image in the minds of others!! I am all for it!!

Comment

Froggy, I talked with David the Ranger a while back and he volunteered the bags and the dumpster as well. I appreciate it.

That is why we set this up, to give back.

1st cleanup is March 2-4 during the extreme hunt/campout, I had talked to Bob about trying a 2nd rounds of pickup after turkey season.

Dave in Denton

Comment

I think I can be there for the March cleanup. I will be leaving for the north soon after and not be back until Next Dec. Going to fish, hunt mule deer and elk in the mountains. Then 2 months in Kansas for whitetails. Then back here for some LBJ before I head south for the late season. Retiring to full time hunt and fish.

Comment

I can not make the Extreme hunt but can make the second hunt/cleanup if we set a good date. Bowhuntntxn and myself will be in Mississippi the weekend of the Extreme hunt for an ASA national shoot. Let us know about the second date.

Comment

Let us know when the 2nd hunt/cleanup takes place I will try to keep my schedule cleared for it.Cant do the 1st one as I will be out of town.

Comment

Working...
                              X