03/31/07 LBJ Turkey Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

03/31/07 LBJ Turkey Opener

Well Saturday morning was a nice beautiful crisp morning, it found me 55 yrdas from a nice roosting tree. The toms were singing their early morning calls as they flew down to the ground. My heart was pumping as I just knew I would have them around me soon. Nooooo, that wasn't the case, they flew down and headed the other direction. I called for a bit, they talked back but I think they were actually calling me something bad in turkey talk as in a matter of 30 to 45 minutes they were all gone. I walked a bout a bit, met up with Dave and we walked around a bit, the we changed locations.

We set up a couple of decoys hoping we could lure some lonely tom out of the woods. We called for about an hour or so before we headed to see Toona.

Dave had to leave to go and do a few things but would be back in the morning. I met up with Ken (Toona) and his wife. Nice meeting you Mel.
    We sat around chewing the fat before we headed out for an evening hunt. I took them were I had seen the birds in the morning to see if we could catch them coming back to the roosting trees. We no longer got to the area when Ken saw a lone hen about 400 to 500 yrads away. We watch her until I spotted a group of jakes about 200 yards out. Ken hit his call and the jakes came running. It didn't take them long to get to us and we all were going to put a bead on one shoot at the count of three. !,2,3 BOOOOOM, one hit the ground, then they ran and one came back , BOOOOOOM that one hit the ground. I went to get the two birds and we sat down for a minute before we decided to see if we could call any more in. After about an hour or so we started the LOOONNNNGGG way back to the trucks.

I had a great time, I have two more tags and hope to fill them all.

Toona, Mel and Dave I had a great time with all of you and we will have to do this again. I would up-load a couple of pics but this new format is a little hard for me to get use to.

BUT WAIT, THERE AINT NO TURKEY AT LBJ FOR SURE NOW< I SHOT THE ONLY TWO.......LOL

CONGRATS to you Bob and Ken and his wife,sounds like a great time..i hope to make it up there before seasons end.I started working 7 days a week now...CONGRATS to all that has a successful weekend...Brian

Comment

Congrats Bob. Sounds like it was a fun time. Maybe someday we can share a campfire.

Comment

GREAT Buck A Do! Was hopin that someone would start a thread about the opening weekend..Emergency Pager kept me a runnin',,at least it's badly needed OT..my personal truck blew a head gasket I think..drat the luck!

Comment

It was good seeing you again, Bob! Congrats again on the birds, wish we could've held up our end of the deal.... We went back out there Sunday morning and heard a few gobbles. We called, they answerd, then BOOM! I'm thinking somebody was between us...... Oh well, that's public land hunting. We gotta do it again, soon!
          Last edited by Bowhuntin_Toona; 04-02-2007, 03:33 AM. Reason: Forgot sumtin

Comment

Nobody EVER puts a GOOD picture of me up on here!! All I ever get is Bob taking nudie pics of me while I am asleep and defensless.

Sam (my daughter) and I sat at the levee and the fence, 20 yards off of the fence, in the brush, under a tree for over 5 1/2 hours till dark, and the Gobblers never came back to the roost. The cows were on the back fence line during the last 2 hours and I think they scared the birds off.

Dave in Denton

Comment

Nice recap. Congrats on the turkeys.

Comment

Congrats on the birds.......

I'm not trying to start a ruckus, but what is the allure to shooting jakes. I'm not singling you out Buck(I use to shoot 'em when I started turkey hunting), but if everyone wouldn't shoot jakes for just 1 year, we'd have an overflow of longbeards forever. Don't laugh, it's the truth! Like I said, I'm not trying to start a ruckus or steal the thread. Were there alot of people out, and oh yeah, horses?

Comment

Well, the allure was it was my wife's first time out, there were four of them and three of us.

Okay Dave, here ya go.

Comment

Good enough for me. Turkeys henned up or talking a little bit? Henned up pretty bad where I was.
                    That's the best excuse ever for a turkey hunter, by the way.

Comment

Jakes- Toms, they both eat good, I was looking for some meat to make white chili. 2 jakes make a lot of white chili and I promised the guys at work I would make some.

I guess if we would also let the 4, 6 and eight point deer walk on public land we would also have some awesome deer in the next few years, but hey as we know these deer if in gun range never see the next season. Plus there are plenty of long beards out there, these old toms are too smart for us to get close to and jakes are dumb enough to come to any call.

Dang Toona did ya have to post that pic, I guess I have to find the belly button pic and re-post it....LOL. I had a great time last week end all but the blister on my heel. I am looking forward in going out again and seeing if I can fill my next two tags. I am thinking the weekened after Easter going and staying the night, (if nothing else happenes to me) and seeing if I can catch the toms in another area I know that they are hanging out.

Comment

Now that is one GOOD looking dude!!!! That is what I am talking about!

It was DANG cold that night. Extreme hunt my butt, we ate good huh?

I shaved all my hair off, I have a high and tight now. I got tired of the hippie look.

I am in for the weekend after Easter, as long as Kelly does not go into labor before then.

Dave in Denton

Comment

I MIGHT be able to sneak our for a morning hunt the weekend after Easter. It's my oldest birthday, so I'll have a house full of teenage girls!!!!! All the more reason to go....... HMMMMMMM........

Comment

Congrats jakes or not they are public land birds which are the hardest to kill!! I was out there on Thursday afternoon and called in 3 hens, but i did hear a few Gobblers so Im gonna try them again tomorrow.

Comment

My wife is just ruining this upcoming weekend. She has no courtesy towards me, and no understanding about short Turkey season is. She is having alot of baby pressure happening and contractions coming and going, so............ It is not looking good for Uncle Kracker to be able to join you boys out there this weekend. If i do, it will be a last minute deal, or maybe a no camping day hunt type of thing.

She is inconsiderate sometimes. But I love her and look forward to this baby.

Dad to be, again, Dave in Denton

Comment

Working...
                              X