Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7-08

Comment

Got my kids the Savage Axis in 6.5 and it has served them well this season, with the sale price and rebate it was less than $200 with a decent scope. The recoil isn't bad and it even fits me.

Comment

7mm08.

Comment

From reading all this, there is a lot of .243 and 7mm-08 suggestions. So go in the middle, 6.5; if you aren't scared of man buns, ugg boots, and skinny jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by captardvark View Post
            Rem model 7 243 done
            Man we’ve killed a lot of deer with that same gun.

Comment

243 win, ammo available everywhere at a good price, and is very effective on deer. And remember, its not the size of the bullet, but rather where that bullet impacts on game that makes it effective.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                I definitely want something they can grow in to. Sounds like a .243 with a reduced recoil load to start off with. I say .243 because the rounds are so prevalent on the shelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I say 243 as well. 7mm-08, 6.5 creedmoor, 243 any would be good but the 243 would fit the bill the best to me. It has enough energy to ethically kill and not leave you feeling worried about exact bullet placement and has less recoil that the other 2.

Comment

6.5 grendel easy to handle accurate gets the job done
                  One of my favorite calibers. Ar platform or Howa mini action

Comment

Remington Model Seven youth in 7MM-08. By far one of the best shooting guns I have ever shot. I just sanded down the stock and re stained it for my boys. My dad bought it for me in 92. I every deer I shot with that gun growing up dropped in its tracks.

Comment

My son is 11 and shoots a .243 really well. He shot a doe last Saturday at 160 yards using Barnes Vortex 80 grain bullets. The doe literally dropped dead and never moved again. I don’t think it even kicked. If you do go with the .243 definitely consider the Barnes ammo. Good luck with the decision.

Comment

Bought my 11 year old daughter a .243 and she killed lots of deer with it. Now she is 22 and still loves shooting her .243 and is confident in the gun so she won't switch to anything else.

Comment

.243 Ruger American. My 10 yr old son has one and loves it. I started him out last year with reduced recoil shells, but now he is shooting normal loads. Great gun, great price, kills 'em dead. Keep it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterdan View Post
                            Bought my 11 year old daughter a .243 and she killed lots of deer with it. Now she is 22 and still loves shooting her .243 and is confident in the gun so she won't switch to anything else.
                            Same here. Cut down the stock. Bought her a .270 and cut it down, but she prefers that Savage .243.

Comment

Working...
                            X