No announcement yet.

Wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since they haven't been mentioned, you can also use the wood from other fruit trees besides hickory/pecan like cherry and apple. They impart flavors that work really well with pork, in my opinion. I'd stick to pecan/oak for beef though.

Add me to the list of people who despise mesquite smoke, but love it for grilling.

Comment

Post oak,mesquite has to strong a flavor, IMO.

Comment

I use all different kinds. For smoking typically hickory or pecan. If I want lighter smoke flavor for chicken or fish I’ll use cherry or apple wood.

I love mesquite flavor but it’s bets used for high temp cooking rather than smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Rich heart pine. It will put more smoke on it than you can scrape off.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Rich heart pine. It will put more smoke on it than you can scrape off.
            If you can choke it down it will put hair on your chest but a burp will singe you eyebrows off.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
              I was watching a bbq competition on what I believe was the food network. The winner was from Texas and an older man by the name of Jim Trigger. He used mostly post oak. He is known as the king of ribs, supposedly.

I have cut my share of Post oak and didn't realize that it is preferred even over live oak. I always felt that live oak makes better coals,but apparently post oak is better for flavor. ????

What was amazing was how well he did cooking things he had never cooked before like pork belly and pork jowl.

I feel like I saw or read somewhere that Aaron Franklin uses Post Oak as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mesquite for chicken, fish, and steak.
                oak#1 or pecan#2 for pork butt and brisket
                cherry for pork ribs or pork butt

Comment

I try to find oak that has been dead long enough that the bark will come off or even fall off. The bark gives the meat a bitter flavor (IMO)

Comment

I like pecan, oak and mesquite, in that order. I think that pecan has a milder flavor and mesquite is pretty strong. Oak seems to be in the middle. I will use mesquite to finish off nearly all my cooks since I have tons of that.

Comment

Mostly red oak. It’s plentiful in my area and I get it for nothing. Pecan when I can score some for free...

Comment

I like oak, pecan, and mesquite. I will put a stick of mesquite in but always have oak or pecan with it to avoid an overly strong mesquite flavor. Love mesquite for grilling though.

Comment

I mix oak and mesquite 50/50

Comment

If I am doing pork, I like applewood. Sometimes I mix apple/hickory for pork. Pecan is also one of my favorites to use. Mesquite for grilling. Oak from time to time. Just not my go to.

Comment

Originally posted by DEG View Post
                              I mix oak and mesquite 50/50
                              I use Moak as well.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Working...
                                X