Habitat Management plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Habitat Management plan

I’ve Made posts like this before, but not since we had a timber stand improvement done. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey fellas, Here's a lot of info on my property. Since I am now living on this chunk, this winter/spring I'm planning on making serious habitat improvements to help affect future seasons. Here are some details. Property is in far NE TX, (Southern Red River County), which is right on the edge of the post oak savanna and where the piney woods of ETX meet. Property is bottom land hardwoods, full of oaks and pine, with minimal junk trees and cedars. Can flood at times, minus high spots where food plots have been (green). The total acreage is 36.56 acres, and the boot in the NW corner is roughly 3.6 acres, while the rest of the main chunk of land is roughly 200 yards wide by 800 yards long. I have included a close aerial pic as well as a pic of the surrounding area around a mile or so around the property, and an even more zoomed out pic. Mostly timber around with some pasture land (no crops that I can see). The 2 small circles in blue on the far south side of the property are two houses, ours and my MIL. That chunk there under the yellow line where the houses are is right around 7.5 acres, leaving us roughly 29 acres to hunt north of that line counting that boot in the NW. Neighbor to the west doesn't hunt, some neighbors to the south hunt (lots of other 36.5 acre chunks, it was a ranch that split 25 years ago). Our neighbors to the east own 550 acres, and have taken good deer each year, roughly 2-3 bucks a year, with the largest being a 135" 9 point this year. That's the biggest deer we've had taken around here. They manage for age and plant 8-10 acres of plots a year. They are primarily gun hunters. We haven't taken a buck off our place in 11 years. Neighbor to the north with the open pastures just clear cut all that about 5 years ago, and are your typical gun hunters who traipse all over their place all the time and pay no attention to being quiet and playing the wind. most times they park their truck on the east side of their inside pasture and face the west and just hunt that way facing a feeder. We used to plant food plots in the green circled areas up until around 5 years ago, about the same time we started building our house. that area in green for plots is roughly 2-2 1/2 acres. we had the timber thinned 3 years ago, so the canopy has opened a lot and we have a few stacks of dead tops scattered around the property. We haven't done any mowing at all anywhere, so there's' lots of tall brown grass everywhere. ATV travel trails are all grown up. I have read Steve Bartylla's book on habitat management, and watched countless videos on the subject. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to what I could do to help bring in bucks during hunting season? I am planning on doing some hinge cutting between food plots to create bedding areas, I will plant fall and spring plots this year, and was thinking of putting up some screening around the plots and around the border of the property in order to have better access to stands without being busted. Our goal is to be able to take 1-2 3 1/2 year old bucks a year once we improve things a couple years down the road. We typically have just a couple sightings of bucks a year. We have a couple families that frequent our property every day, and they may actually be living on the property. But book sightings are rare here. Which I find odd because our neighbors to the east kill good bucks every year within a few hundred yards of us. Any other information needed just let me know. Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

The shape indicates it’s gonna hunt a little bigger than 35 acres simply because of the length. If it were mine, I wouldn’t worry too much about bucks bedding on it, I’d concentrate on feed. Good food plots in the center to promote neighboring deer traveling through. I would rather deer bed somewhere close and feed on me. Anything that promotes deer movement is gonna let you see more deer. More deer seen is more bucks seen, at least during the chase, rut, and post rut. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      The shape indicates it’s gonna hunt a little bigger than 35 acres simply because of the length. If it were mine, I wouldn’t worry too much about bucks bedding on it, I’d concentrate on feed. Good food plots in the center to promote neighboring deer traveling through. I would rather deer bed somewhere close and feed on me. Anything that promotes deer movement is gonna let you see more deer. More deer seen is more bucks seen, at least during the chase, rut, and post rut. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the input

Comment

Come on folks. Need some help here! I’ll post some places I’m thinking for screening, hinge cutting, and creating travel corridors to and from bed to food.

Comment

Blue lines are possible screening to cover walking in from each side and on the north to block neighbors from our place.

Yellow places are possible bedding areas, using screening and/or hinging

Solid green are destination plots. I’ll use edge feathering or screening on the borders to funnel to the travel lines, which are in red, from bedding to food.

Green outlines are small micro plots close to bedding.

Purple dots are possible stand locations. We can access from either side of property line.

Thoughts?

Comment

Sounds like you are on the right track. Definitely have food plots and bedding areas placed in interior of land if possible. Try Tyrone or Tara forage soybeans. Lots of protein and you will probably get some beans matured on them that will still be attractive after frost kills the vegetation. They can reach up to 7' tall so it's a food plot and bedding area in one. If it stays grazed down, make some bedding areas. Disc firebreaks around areas you want them to bed and burn in Feb /March. It will grow up in summer. Plant the fire breaks in Egyptian wheat to provide additional screening. On such a small acreage set up no-disturb sanctuaries. Not just for non hunting but also don't go walk around /drive around in there. Your wildlife will feel more relaxed if not distributed. Do you have any old fence rows? Look for honeysuckle and throw a couple handfuls of 13-13-13 on them. Do strip discing along openings /fallow fields to encourage forb production. Good luck with your project. It's very fun and rewarding but a lot of work

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
              Sounds like you are on the right track. Definitely have food plots and bedding areas placed in interior of land if possible. Try Tyrone or Tara forage soybeans. Lots of protein and you will probably get some beans matured on them that will still be attractive after frost kills the vegetation. They can reach up to 7' tall so it's a food plot and bedding area in one. If it stays grazed down, make some bedding areas. Disc firebreaks around areas you want them to bed and burn in Feb /March. It will grow up in summer. Plant the fire breaks in Egyptian wheat to provide additional screening. On such a small acreage set up no-disturb sanctuaries. Not just for non hunting but also don't go walk around /drive around in there. Your wildlife will feel more relaxed if not distributed. Do you have any old fence rows? Look for honeysuckle and throw a couple handfuls of 13-13-13 on them. Do strip discing along openings /fallow fields to encourage forb production. Good luck with your project. It's very fun and rewarding but a lot of work

Thanks for the reply. The boot in the NW corner will most likely be off limits for sanctuary. The entire west border is a fence, around the boot, the northern border. I planned on using Egyptian wheat for screening, along with switchgrass for long term use. Haven’t seen any honeysuckle. I’m really hoping this helps us see more deer/bucks on the hoof.

Comment

Good deal. No problem. I'm not too far from you as I'm in Fannin Co and we are right at boundary between post oak savanna /blackland prairie. I imagine the habitat looks very similar. Great idea on the switchgrass too. Probably more resistant to drought and lasts for many years than any annual you could plant. Hinge cutting sounds like a great idea too. You are on the right track with feathering the edges

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                  Good deal. No problem. I'm not too far from you as I'm in Fannin Co and we are right at boundary between post oak savanna /blackland prairie. I imagine the habitat looks very similar. Great idea on the switchgrass too. Probably more resistant to drought and lasts for many years than any annual you could plant. Hinge cutting sounds like a great idea too. You are on the right track with feathering the edges

Thank you. Really going to take this seriously this year. Living on the property makes it so much easier as to compared to the 25 minute drive one way from town.

Comment

Those of you who are altering habitat, how close are you putting bedding areas to food? Also, are you creating blockades on property lines to funnel deer to step on your land in specific spots?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Checkout Land and Legacy Podcast and Videos for some great ideas. They are strong proponents of clear cutting some small acreage for bedding instead of hinge cutting and it also creates more natural vegetation since that’s the large majority of a deer’s diet. Food plots certainly have a small place though and can promote more use on your land. Good luck. Hope you continue to post and share picks of your progress

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                        Checkout Land and Legacy Podcast and Videos for some great ideas. They are strong proponents of clear cutting some small acreage for bedding instead of hinge cutting and it also creates more natural vegetation since that’s the large majority of a deer’s diet. Food plots certainly have a small place though and can promote more use on your land. Good luck. Hope you continue to post and share picks of your progress

Downloaded LOTS of their episodes just now. Thanks for directing me there. Should be a huge help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Instead of food plots in the spring I would just disk up some areas on edges or down thru the tall grass, deer like young fresh growth. Long term plant some oaks if you don’t have them and persimmon trees. If you have stands near feeders, try putting secondary stand about 100 yards from you main ones. We have had better luck doing this. If I have acorns I’m wasting corn. I own my own property in post oak savannah and these are things that have worked for me. Good luck

Comment

Tooooo many food plots there

More plots, especially small ones the more scattered

Plant 2 acres close to house. Don’t care if they feed in the dark

Back 1/3 make cover, bedding and security. Hunt between point a and b

Don’t make cover everywhere. You will just blow them out getting to the back.

Don’t “hunt” the plot. It will be doe and young bucks in daylight anyway. Pick up the bucks in the transition area. And have a way you can get out and past plot in the dark without blowing the deer out of it after dark and in the morning

Comment

Green plot
                              Red route in and out
                              Purple is hunt area
                              Blue cover

At 200 yards wide. 2 stands 50 yards from border will cover the entire swath with 50 yard shots.

Scattering all over the place will scatter the bedding and you will be blowing doe out somewhere guaranteed. Get 50 yards from plots and funnel doe past and wait out bucks

Or early season slip past doe and hunt buck going to feed in the evenings
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X