Bad Shot, Happy Ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Shot, Happy Ending

I consider myself a pretty experienced bow hunter, and 'good' shot. But even when conditions are right, sometimes we (bow hunters) do something that humbles us. This is one such occasion for me. Cull buck, broadside @ 20 yards, relaxed. I go through my shot routine... draw, find my kisser, touch nose to string, anchor thumb behind neck, center pin in the peep, find a single hair as my aiming point in the boiler room, and pull slow... and "WHAP"... FIVE INCHES RIGHT? What the hell happened? I obviously pulled the shot, but for the life of me can't remember how, but I did. Anyway, waited an hour, grabbed my black lab to help me track, and found him. All Liver. No lungs, no guts.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DCE3_md0GI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DCE3_md0GI[/ame]

It's only a bad shot if you didn't find him congratulations!

Comment

Congratulations! On the video it appears that he had started to drop just before your arrow got to him. That could be the reason for hitting a little back. Nevertheless you got him so all is well.

Comment

What Mexico said. Sometimes it just works out! Made the same shot on a buck in 2015 and he went 4-500 yards but I found him. Horrible feelings go away the moment you walk up on them

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
          What Mexico said. Sometimes it just works out! Made the same shot on a buck in 2015 and he went 4-500 yards but I found him. Horrible feelings go away the moment you walk up on them
          Ain't THAT the truth...

Comment

My first and only bow shot, pulled it and hit the femur. Shattered and ripped the femoral artery. Found the deer 400yrds away after waiting and tracking the blood trail. I felt terrible, but the meat was good. In tons of practice shots before I had never been so far off, and never again since.

Comment

It looks to me like your focus might have moved to that little tuft of hair sticking out. If you watch that is almost exactly where you hit. It kept drawing my attention! Got the deer though so all is good!

Comment

Great looking young buck, might have been a really good buck in another year or 2, congrats.

Comment

I thought this was a quote from Robert Kraft by looking at the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                    Congratulations! On the video it appears that he had started to drop just before your arrow got to him. That could be the reason for hitting a little back. Nevertheless you got him so all is well.
                    This ^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat70 View Post
                      Great looking young buck, might have been a really good buck in another year or 2, congrats.
                      He did gain tine length and mass since last year, but no spread improvement. This is year three we have him on camera and not what we are looking for so he went on the cull sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Matador View Post
                        It looks to me like your focus might have moved to that little tuft of hair sticking out. If you watch that is almost exactly where you hit. It kept drawing my attention! Got the deer though so all is good!
                        I noticed that too in the video. I'm fairly certain I was focussed much further forward than that tuft of hair, but did my sub-conscience get to me? I'll never know.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                          X