• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good idea...have to give this a try.

Comment

Only way I’ve done my necks for a long time. Best roast out of a deer

Comment

dang that looks good! no doubt every last scrap was eaten!

Comment

Also allows you to do this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OK so that's an awesome mount

Comment

We do something similar, but in the smoker at 200 for several hours, then pan sear, then into the slow cooker. It's an awesome cut of meat for sure.

Comment

The neck is hands down the best piece to turn into a roast. Keeps great flavor and doesn't seem to dry out nearly as much as the hams.

Comment

Besides the back straps the neck is the best piece of meat imo. A big buck neck roast in full rut when they have a big swollen neck is amazing smothered down in a big black pot or if you dont feel like cooking it 4-5 hours cook it in one of those electric pressure cookers. It is a stringy meat a lot like brisket.

Comment

Well im giving that a try

Comment

This is off a 260 lb buck from Illinois. Had to cut it in half to fit in a pot. This Hong will feed a lot of people.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
                        This is off a 260 lb buck from Illinois. Had to cut it in half to fit in a pot. This Hong will feed a lot of people.

That's a lotta meat!

Comment

I can see being the future of a couple of axis deer...

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                            I can see being the future of a couple of axis deer...

Axis meat is so much better than WTD I’d be interested to know how the neck roasts are. I bet they are delicious

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                              That’s what we used to do as well. But the hinds are leaner than the neck and it’s really easy to dry it out. I’ve had several hind roasts before but this neck roast was more tender and not at all dry.

Lean and tough cuts are best suited for low and slow cook methods. The reason the neck was tender and not dry is because it is full of tendons and connective tissues. The connective tissue mostly consists of collagen that has a higher melting temp than fat. When cooked for a long period it renders into gelatin and more is retained in the muscle, which is why these types of roasts (neck, shoulder, shanks) come out so moist and tender.

Ever since I started using the leanest, toughest cuts for roasts, chilis, and stews, they've come out so much better. Cuts that are fattier and/or more tender come out tough and dry because the fat renders out quick and a tight ball of protein is all that's left to chew on.

Comment

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
                                Besides the back straps the neck is the best piece of meat imo. A big buck neck roast in full rut when they have a big swollen neck is amazing smothered down in a big black pot or if you dont feel like cooking it 4-5 hours cook it in one of those electric pressure cookers. It is a stringy meat a lot like brisket.
                                It's all great if the cut is paired with the proper cook method. Neck and shoulders for roast, backstraps various ways, tip sirloin, top round jerky, bottom and eye of round grind, shanks Osso Bucco, etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X