Trad setup - suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad setup - suggestions

Hello, I was hoping yall can help me get setup with a recurve for my first trad bow, other than my bowfishing rig.

I'll be hunting Texas for pigs, Javier, and deer. I'm thinking 50lbs +/- will be what I need.
    What is a good recurve for the money?
    What arrows do you recommend?
    Broadheads?

TIA

What kind of weight are you shooting now? Whats your draw length?

Comment

You might try a search in the traditional forum. There are a lot of suggestions on this very topic. Some good affordable, recurves recommended (that I like) are Wing/AMF bows from the 70s. I have bought a few off of ebay and they were good shooters in decent shape. I am sure others will chime in. They are typically in the $150 - $250 range for the ones I purchased. I'm a Wing/Bob Lee fan boy, but they are really good bows. Lots of info here if you search. Good Luck.

Comment

Until you learn trad and develop your form, you will need a relatively light weight bow. Thirty five or forty pounds is a good place to start. I agree that fifty is better for hunting but you are a long way from now until hunting proficient.

I would stay cheap and buy a used Samick Sage for $75 or so. It is a take down and there is nothing keeping you from buying a half dozen sets of limbs in varying weights, if that is the way you want to do it. As your strength and proficiently grows, you can add five pounds to the draw weight and sell the lighter limbs. There are other bows out there, but the availability of Sage limbs is a big factor in my choice. A used set of limbs can be had for $40 to $50. When you are finished with the starter bow, you can sell it and buy a nicer bow. Many guys hang on to their Sages. They are a great platform for a bow fishing rig or just for a bow that can be carried around in the truck without worry of banging it up or having it get stolen.

Comment

Working...
        X