Comment

Nice!

Comment

Nice buck, congrats.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt life View Post
            Very nice buck! Do you have any history with that buck?
            No history. First time seeing him.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
              nice buck! what food plot is that?
              That particular part is turnips and radishes. The other part of the food plot is wheat, oats, peas and rye.

Comment

Here's a little write up about the hunt.

I was out of town last weekend for the duck opener and took kids out the Saturday before that for the youth weekend, so I haven't pulled a trigger on anything yet.
                Decided to head to my place last night so I could get in some deer hunting today before some guys come to hunt ducks with me tomorrow.
                I knew I had some good horns roaming around but with the rut going on I wasn't sure what might show up.
                I get out this morning and choose to sit in the tree stand, rather than the platform blind. Just had a feeling the bucks were going to be closer to the woods over there.
                I get all set and 7:30 rolls around, feeder goes off (which I don't know why that always scares the **** out of me even though I know its coming) and still no deer. Now, being that there is not a large deer population here in the Trinity River Bottoms they don't come running to the dinner bell like other places.
                Slowly some does hit the food plot and start making their way to the feeder. They were very wary and slide off into the woods where there was a young buck that started chasing them. Well this happened off and on all morning with younger bucks trying to get some.
                Then around 10:30 as there were 2 does at the feeder, this buck comes crashing in from the tall grass, grunting twice. I knew he was a mature deer with a good rack but there wasn't going to be anytime to check him out. He has his head down, neck out like a turtle and the does took off so he was about to follow them. Luckily, I had my gun sitting across my lap.
                I got him in the cross hairs. He momentarily stopped and I popped him. He hunched over and started running off on 3 legs. I could see I had a fatal shot right behind the shoulder but I didn't want him going far so I put another round into him. He fell in his tracks.
                Not the biggest body or width I've taken off my place but he has some characteristics. He is all broken up or he would have had 15 points but instead only has 12.
                I checked his teeth, which he had none except the back two molars.
                Now, going to stack up some mallards tomorrow morning as I went by the wetlands and about 75 of them lifted off from there.

Other pics from this morning.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Always a good start

Comment

Love it. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats! Nice buck

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
                        Ecclesiastes 10:2

Comment

Put a video together of the day's activities.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                            LDPs
                            Nice buck. Congratulations! You need to pick a mess of those greens for supper.

Comment

Working...
                            X