Rifle stock painting gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle stock painting gurus

Working on giving one of my rifles a face life. When I’m finished with the clear coat I’d like to have a smooth to touch finish. A thought I had was between coats 3 & 4 to lightly sand with 2000 grit. Thoughts? I don’t believe the 2000 will eat through the first coats of clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last one I painted got 3-4 coats and I didn't sand between. I don't think the texture is any different than the way it came. But its composite stock

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      The last one I painted got 3-4 coats and I didn't sand between. I don't think the texture is any different than the way it came. But its composite stock

It came out good without sanding. The more coats the smother it became.

Comment

Pics?

Comment

Dumb question. Did you read the instructions? A lot of finishes, depending on what you are using, may even call for sanding between coats.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
            Dumb question. Did you read the instructions? A lot of finishes, depending on what you are using, may even call for sanding between coats.

I never read instructions... lol

Comment

wise man

Comment

This explains why you should sand clear coats

Comment

What does smooth to the touch imply? 2000 sure is going to make it smooth, but is way overkill on a rifle stock. If you want smooth/satin, 4/0 steel wool.

I finish my bamboo fly rods with 1500G.

Comment

Working...
                  X