Neches River NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neches River NWR

Anyone draw the Neches NWR? I put in for fun and got picked for the Walnut Branch Unit! Excited for a new challenge! Went out there in July to hike around and saw a giant right at the front entrance of the Dead Water Unit. Will be out scouting the Walnut unit often in preparation for the hunt! Map scouting has been fun but I’m ready for boots on the ground! Good luck to anyone drawn and every bowhunter in general this season! Any advice is always appreciated!

I won dead water unit.

Comment

Following to see how it goes. I wanted to apply but didn’t think about it in time. Good luck guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I put in for E card hunt, but pending for now.

Comment

I got drawn for it. I live about an hour away, so on Saturday I went and scouted the land to see if I wanted to pay the $130 fee to hunt it. I ended up walking about 9 miles around the refuge. I wouldn’t say I saw a ton of the typical sign I was looking for, but there were definitely signs that people in the area want to be hunting near the refuge. Sorry for being cryptic, but you know how it is. Bottom line… I’m fixing to pay the fee to give it a shot. First off, it’s a 7-day hunt vs 3-4 for most other refuges. It’s also cool to get to be in the first group of people to hunt this property for whitetail since it got refuge status in 2011. 10 years of not being boogered around. If you’re coming, I’d say be prepared to do some trekking, since it appears to be a “park at the clubhouse and hoof it” scenario. It’s a lot of bottomland slough type terrain, and to be quite honest, it looks deery as sh*t! I hope to see you there.

Comment

I got drawn for the Dead Water Unit. I live about an hour away, so on Saturday I went and scouted the land to see if I wanted to pay the $130 fee to hunt it. I ended up walking about 9 miles around the refuge. I wouldn’t say I saw a ton of the typical sign I was looking for, but there were definitely signs that people in the area want to be hunting near the refuge. Sorry for being cryptic, but you know how it is. Bottom line… I’m fixing to pay the fee to give it a shot. First off, it’s a 7-day hunt vs 3-4 for most other refuges. It’s also cool to get to be in the first group of people to hunt this property for whitetail since it got refuge status in 2011. 10 years of not being boogered around. If you’re coming, I’d say be prepared to do some trekking, since it appears to be a “park at the clubhouse and hoof it” scenario. It’s a lot of bottomland slough type terrain, and to be quite honest, it looks deery as sh*t! I hope to see you there.

Comment

I don’t know about now, but the Deadwater portion has been a prime poaching area for years. Gamewardens’ nightmare !

Comment

I wouldn’t doubt it a bit.

Comment

I went out and scouted the Walnut Branch unit Sunday and Monday. Walked about 5 miles each day and did find plenty of deer and big hogs! Sign was there along with animals! Parts of the unit are tough to access but not impossible! There was plenty of buck sign from years past and I was able to lay my eyes on one in the timber. I covered about half the unit and still there are areas I stayed away from that could be good areas. I too live about an hour from there and think it will be a fun challenge. I can see where people in the area might use it as their own hunting ground but I still am excited for the challenge. Like I said in the first post I walked the dead water unit in July saw deer in there as well. On my way out I saw a giant wide buck cross the main entrance road heading east right by the front gate. I was not drawn for that unit so hopefully that helps anyone here during the hunt! That being said I like the Walnut unit more than the dead water unit after scouting both but that is purely just my preference as I saw deer and bucks in both units!

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      I don’t know about now, but the Deadwater portion has been a prime poaching area for years. Gamewardens’ nightmare !
                      nightmare....lol

Comment

PM’s replied

Comment

Where is everyone staying?

Comment

As you're not allowed to camp on the refuge you'll have to find lodging offsite. There's a few hotels in Palestine and/or Jacksonville.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbaganoosh View Post
                              As you're not allowed to camp on the refuge you'll have to find lodging offsite. There's a few hotels in Palestine and/or Jacksonville.
                              Yeah, I saw that in the rules. Just wondering if people were trying to stay in the same area for meet and greet ect.

Comment

Working...
                              X