Abilene State Park Draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abilene State Park Draw

A buddy and I drew this hunt. Any other members draw? After reviewing some of the older threads it looks like we will be hunting camp sites, pools, and playgrounds... Definitely not a traditional hunt but I'm looking forward to the experience regardless. Also, if you have any previous years of experience/success, feel free to chime in!

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
    A buddy and I drew this hunt. Any other members draw? After reviewing some of the older threads it looks like we will be hunting camp sites, pools, and playgrounds... Definitely not a traditional hunt but I'm looking forward to the experience regardless. Also, if you have any previous years of experience/success, feel free to chime in!

My daughter drew a youth hunt there Several years ago. Organizers are nice enough to but I have never put in for Abilene state park since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
      My daughter drew a youth hunt there Several years ago. Organizers are nice enough to but I have never put in for Abilene state park since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Ouch! I honestly didn't even look into it when I put in for it. Just wanted to draw out west.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I drew archery out there in 2013. Had a great time. Park staff was awesome. Even had one of the staff members open the park store for me after it closed at night so I could get some ice to ice down a deer I killed. Your right about hunting camping spots, softball fields, pool area. Not a traditional hunt but there was plenty of deer and a good freezer filler. Myself and several others rented the cabin by the lake and shared the cost. 2 of them were TBHers. I got 2 deer and several others got 2 also.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
          I drew archery out there in 2013. Had a great time. Park staff was awesome. Even had one of the staff members open the park store for me after it closed at night so I could get some ice to ice down a deer I killed. Your right about hunting camping spots, softball fields, pool area. Not a traditional hunt but there was plenty of deer and a good freezer filler. Myself and several others rented the cabin by the lake and shared the cost. 2 of them were TBHers. I got 2 deer and several others got 2 also.
          Thats good to hear! What "compartment" did you hunt?

Comment

I hunted ASP on a buck hunt, but they begged us to shoot does instead. We only hunted a couple of hunts and ended up hunting some other places in the area we had access too. There should be a thread on here about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
              I hunted ASP on a buck hunt, but they begged us to shoot does instead. We only hunted a couple of hunts and ended up hunting some other places in the area we had access too. There should be a thread on here about it.

Comment

I was drawn there 2-3? Years ago. There are lots off deer. I hunted compartment 8 on the south side. I shot 2 does and I think one other guy killed 2 does. Staff was nice but facilities were really sparse. When I checked in my first one, they had a tractor to hang deer to dress, but no rope or chain to tie to forks. While they were off looking I dressed my doe on the tailgate and had her all washed up when they got back. Shot the first one from a double bull blind in a campsite with my longbow, shot second mid afternoon while taking down the groundblind. She walked down a power line clearing and I pulled out the compound and punched her ticker. The park is really pretty and the Yurts they rent are a good place to stay. The only hogs seen were on the East end where the little creek runs out. The guy hunting there said they were in the really tall grass. I only saw 2 bucks, a fork horn and a real small 7 pt with a bad limp.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                  I was on that hunt too. Shared the cabin with y’all.

Comment

That thread was 8 years ago. How did you find one that old?

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                      Thats good to hear! What "compartment" did you hunt?

Can’t remember the compartment number but I hunted at campsite #66. Set up a ladder in a big pecan tree right on the road. Across the road was the bathrooms which came in handy after my coffee kicked in lol.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                        That thread was 8 years ago. How did you find one that old?
                        I just looked up threads started by Heath. Once he posted about starting one I figured it was there. I apply for a lot of hunts every year and enjoy reading threads like that one.

On a side note a lot of times I'll Google hunts and put in texasbowhunter right after whatever I'm looking for (example: abilene state park hunting texasbowhunter). It brings up threads.

I know there's also a search function on here but I haven't really used it much so I'm not really smart on how to do that.
                        Last edited by BradBryant1000; 08-22-2021, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I too have been drawn for Dec

Comment

Originally posted by gabeo View Post
                            I too have been drawn for Dec
                            Nice! We will see you there.

Comment

I used to hunt a ranch right across from Abilene State Park, lots of good deer and hogs on the ranch I hunted.

Comment

Working...
                              X