Lincoln National Forest & White Sands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lincoln National Forest & White Sands

Hey ya'll. Putting this in the photography forum, though I suppose it could probably go in ATC as well. Curious to see if anyone has any recommendations of places to target specifically in Lincoln National Forest and White Sands in New Mexico for landscape/wildlife photography?

Dragging my camp trailer up there in a few weeks, and planning on spending 3 or 4 days doing some dispersed camping (so would also appreciate any camp locations that would be worth checking out if anyone doesn't mind sharing). We're planning on just finding a spot I can get my truck and trailer into (no power or water needed), and then just doing some general hiking and will definitely be shooting a bunch of photos.

Appreciate any insight!

You might try to get to Bonito Lake at some point. Maybe try to hike up to Nogal Peak if you're in shape. Great views up there but it's almost 10K ft. I know there are some abandoned mines up there, but can't really explain how to get to them. Tons of wildlife (bear, elk, deer, turkey, etc.) if that's what you're wanting to capture. Most of those canyons have roads that you can drive up and camp anywhere. If you stay on that main road you come in on, it ends in a loop at the Argentina trailhead. Folks usually camp down there with horses and whatnot. If you hike down that Argentina trail, you'll likely see one of the biggest mines on your left after a few miles. As kids we used to go in it and find cool artifacts but I've heard it's covered over now.

You might go to Lincoln if you're into old west historical sights. Lots of Billy the Kid memorabilia there. You can still go in the buildings that he shot up and see the bullet holes. Watch Young Guns beforehand, haha.

I didn't go to white sands as much as a kid. One thing I do remember is my family making fun of all the Texans that go because they stop so quickly after entering. I recall if you keep driving further in, there are less and less areas of vegetation and pure white sand dunes. Although if you're photographing, might want vegetation and wildlife. Otherwise, take a sled, some wax, and sunscreen
    Last edited by nbrantr; 07-07-2021, 08:35 AM.

Comment

By the way, please let us know where you ended up going and how it was. I'd love to see the pictures you capture

Comment

Originally posted by nbrantr View Post
        By the way, please let us know where you ended up going and how it was. I'd love to see the pictures you capture
        Awesome thanks for the info! Will definitely be uploading photos afterwards, I haven't gotten a chance to add anything new to the photography forum in a bit, and need to catch up.

Comment

Working...
        X