Squirrel eradication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squirrel eradication

Ok, with the new place on the river I have been resisting the urge to get a PCP air rifle and have some fun from the top deck but no longer. Little bastages have eaten holes in my patio furniture cushions. I was tolerating them taunting my dog whenever she’s on the cable run but now they took it up to property damage so war is on.
    I need a quiet method to take them out up to about 80 yards if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.22 cal CB's..

Comment

Live traps baited with corn or pecans. Do as you please once they’re caught.

Comment

i've been using subsonic .22's. Deadly at 55 yards. Could easily adjust to 80. With a can, no one hears it...execpt the hit, it is louder than the shot.

Comment

I was in my home office the other day and heard a weird sound coming from the attic. It took a minute before I realized what it was. Grabbed my Gamo Silent Cat and went outside. A squirrel was on the roof eating my house. He ran up and over the eve to the other other side…then he come back and pokes his head out. Yup, I put a 177 in his dome.

Comment

My dad lives in the burbs west of Houston and literally has trapped and relocated over 200 squirrels in the past 10 years or so.

I laugh, because just when he thinks he has them under control, another shows up. It’s like there is an endless supply of them.

Comment

Buy a bucket of rat poison with holes in the middle and wire them up in the trees, I had roof rats and the poison took out the squirrels also, natural recruiting will happen so keep some out
              Year round

Comment

This one looks like he died of heat exhaustion at our house.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just me, Shinesintx, and Huntindad. got a sense of adventure here ??
                  'scuse me.. But, I thought this, was a hunting site...

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                    Just me, Shinesintx, and Huntindad. got a sense of adventure here ??

'scuse me.. But, I thought this, was a hunting site...
                    Come on to Hurst, you would have a field day in a week!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

There was a Meateater podcast that got into this a few months ago. They had a squirrel expert on and he basically said it’s pretty much impossible to eradicate squirrels from an area with good habitat. Females have multiple litters per year and even if you can get all of the one’s on your property killed more of them will just move in from the neighbors property. It’s impossible to get ahead of. I tried for a year or so. My .22 caliber Gamo was very effective. I’ve mostly given up though. The dog would grab them when they fell out of the tree and then hide and bury them in the flower beds. I killed dozens and it barely seemed to make a dent. Wife had enough after the dog brought them in the house a couple of times.

Comment

87- I got plenty of them as well..

Comment

Originally posted by mwk128 View Post
                          There was a Meateater podcast that got into this a few months ago. They had a squirrel expert on and he basically said it’s pretty much impossible to eradicate squirrels from an area with good habitat. Females have multiple litters per year and even if you can get all of the one’s on your property killed more of them will just move in from the neighbors property. It’s impossible to get ahead of. I tried for a year or so. My .22 caliber Gamo was very effective. I’ve mostly given up though. The dog would grab them when they fell out of the tree and then hide and bury them in the flower beds. I killed dozens and it barely seemed to make a dent. Wife had enough after the dog brought them in the house a couple of times.
                          It has gotten to the point if I see one by the feeder55 yards away...when I open the back door they haul butt. Now I go out the front door and sneak around the house

Comment

We back up to a greenbelt and had the same problem. Here’s what we did, AND IT WORKED:

First, trim any tree branches surrounding your deck as far away from the deck as you can. Remember, squirrels can jump quite a distance, so the farther away you trim the branches, the more difficult you make it for the squirrels to use your deck as a path of travel.

Second—and this is the most important part—buy a bag of cheap polyester batting. (Do not buy cotton batting. It seems to be too heavy for the squirrels to carry in their mouths, especially when wet). Pull about half of the batting out of the bag and place it in, say, a decorative basket (or something similar), breaking it up, “fluffing” the batting as you go. Fill the basket full and make sure a little bit of batting is “peaking” over the top.

The squirrels are chewing holes in your upholstery to get at the “insides” to use to build their nests. If you offer them a more convenient alternative, they’ll go for it every time.

Comment

I bought a .25 Benjamin Marauder PCP and and an air tank that I refill at the scuba shop. Kinda expensive but deadly accurate out to 50 yards and very fun. I keep the squirrels thinned as I work from home. The hawks fly by frequently helping me clean up. If I had to do it again, I would get a .22 Marauder.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X