Advice for removing large Boisdark tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for removing large Boisdark tree

I have a big boisdark tree I need to remove from where I'm planning to build a barndominium. The trunk is as big around as a 55 gallon barrel. What would be the best way to remove it?

Originally posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
    I have a big boisdark tree I need to remove from where I'm planning to build a barndominium. The trunk is as big around as a 55 gallon barrel. What would be the best way to remove it?
    Have a spare chain or two. Very dense wood. Great firewood, but it really pops and sparks. I believe the highest BTU’s when it comes to heat.

Comment

Hire someone with a lot of sharp chainsaw chains. Those trees will kill chainsaws. Let someone else ruin their equipment.

Comment

Agree, that stuff's hard. Bulldoze it? Build an atrium in your barndo and leave it there lol?

Comment

Make bows out of it ? You’re gonna have to get the stump out aren’t you ? Dig it up with a trackhoe big roots and all, then make bows out of it ! Osage orange aka bois d’arc makes good bows.

Comment

Hedge.

Comment

Dozer, trackhoe, backhoe. Trackhoe would be tool of choice for me.

Comment

Hate to see you cut that down. Make lots of bows!!!

Comment

FYI, that tree will have a root system that is almost equal in volume to tree you see above ground. If the tree is just cut down, years later and the root system is rotted away there will be a big void in the ground underneath. A track loader works good to take out big Bois Darcs. Dig out a big hole on one side and use the dirt to build a ramp on the opposite side 4 to 6 feet high depending on size of tree. Crawl the track loader up the ramp and push it over. Move to the side and set the blade level at the ground and shove it out of the way cutting the roots off as it moves. Fill the hole with the ramp dirt and smooth it over as best you can. You can now cut and burn the tree at your leisure. I have a cousin that is a pro at this. I've watched him take out some bigguns this way. He retired from TexDot a couple years ago in Fannin Co. and sold his 1150C since then.

Comment

Fire

Comment

Change location of Barndo if possible

Comment

Wow what a pain...............

Comment

You could use a forestry mulcher, but that doesnt get the roots.

Comment

I’ve bulldozed a quite a few of them over the years and I’ll tell you they are a pain in the azz even with a D6, best would be trackhoe.

Comment

Find a bowyer that wants some staves and tell em to come get it! Lotta staves in a big ol tree like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X