Silver Maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Maple

I have a tree way too close to the house and the arborist told me today it is a Silver Maple. Beauty but has to go. Is there any value in it? They are doing a full property clean up as this place was neglected for years. All the pecan will go on my wood pile but not sure about using maple in my smoker or my fireplace?
    I could ask him to leave the big logs and find a mill later I supposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be wrong but I would say no. It has no real value.

-john

Comment

I don’t know if would have any value to speak of a one off deal like hog hunter says but you cut for a couple of logs and let them dry naturally in a covered area so they don’t split up too bad. I think I have read to put paraffin on the end cuts to even up the drying. Then when “cured” you slice it in 4 or so inch slices, get bark off, sand it to get it clean and rub with an oil for cutting boards or butcher block and you’ve got a unique block. That would also give you time to check and see if you could get a rifle stock or pistol grips out of it.

Hope this is not too much labor for you if your wife wants a cutting board

Comment

Cutting board or coffee table is kind of what I was thinking.

Comment

Just being nosy, what were you quoted to take that tree down?

Comment

Those trees are short lived any way.
            No big loss honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
              Just being nosy, what were you quoted to take that tree down?

I didn’t get a quote on that. Got a whole property deal for my acre that has some very, very large pecans that need lots of work for safety and aesthetics. They are pulling some crepe myrtles too.

Comment

Great looking yard! Is that a lake? River? Pond? Drainage problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  It looks like the Brazos river in Pecan Plantation if I had to guess.

Comment

Very short lived trees that like to fall over. I don't think this is the type of maple that has any value as far as lumber goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Am I over-posting? Yep, I love my Brazos yard, drainage issue and all. The view is about to get better and I'll have firewood for the next ice age.

Thanks for the input on the tree folks. I was on the fence about taking it out but have never been ok with one that close to my foundation. It also blocks the view from the 2nd story deck and acts as a bug and squirrel highway on to that deck and my roof.

Comment

She gone

I did keep a big slice of the trunk for a chopping block. This wood is incredibly heavy.

Comment

When dried, it makes good firewood. That's about the best use of it.

Comment

I guess it's to late now but I would of did something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                              I guess it's to late now but I would of did something like this.

There is a carver locally who has been advertising. I did think about it but location is just not good.

Comment

Working...
                              X