Need help choosing a lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help choosing a lens

I will be traveling to Colorado in a month for a little vacation. We are going to be riding atv's in Pike national forest. I am looking at renting a lens for my Nikon D90. What would be the best choice for this ? I guess mostly lanscape and family pics. Thanks

A Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 would be hard to beat for what you are talking about.

Comment

Thanks for the input. 158 veiws and 1 response wow

Comment

Any time joe

Comment

I would take 3.
          The one mentioned above for a walk around lens.
          A 50mm for a lot of other shots.
          And a 55mm 300mm for distant shots.

Have fun.....

Comment

If I was only going to take one lens, it would be the Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6. As long as you're not trying to shoot at dawn or dusk, the lens will do fine. I have one and it's my "walking around" lens.

Comment

I agree with Scotty. I had this same lens and for a travel lens where you don't want to take a bunch of equipment, this is a great lens.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I have a 70-200 F2.8 now. Just wondering if there was something else I may need. I'm new to this.

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw38 View Post
                  Thanks for the input guys. I have a 70-200 F2.8 now. Just wondering if there was something else I may need. I'm new to this.
                  That's the first real lens that I started with. Great choice!

For landscapes, go WIDE! A lot of great photographers here swear by the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. If I wasn't planning on going FX, I'd have one by now.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                    That's the first real lens that I started with. Great choice!

For landscapes, go WIDE! A lot of great photographers here swear by the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. If I wasn't planning on going FX, I'd have one by now.
                    Scotty, a friend of mine who also shoots with a D700 has the 16-35 F4.5 VR and he absolutely loves it. I shot a few frames with it the last time I saw him and it is a really nice lens. And, since the D700 is FX, you get true 16-35. I would take a look at this lens if I were you and I know it is my next lens I will purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw38 View Post
                      This is a great lens and you will probaly find it will be on your camera most of the time. However, for a vacation lens, you probably will not want to carry it around with you in addition to at least one or two other lenses. If you want more on the upper end than the 18-200 will give you, I have heard a lot of good things about the 28-300.

Comment

I rented a Nikon 14-24 F2.8 for the trip. We will see what it will do. This will probably be my next piece of glass anyway.

Comment

Good choice. Let us see some shots when you get back.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                            If I was only going to take one lens, it would be the Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6. As long as you're not trying to shoot at dawn or dusk, the lens will do fine. I have one and it's my "walking around" lens.
                            This. I have a Tokina wide angle and I rented a really nice zoom lens for my last trip to the mountains to use with my D90. I still ended up using my reliable 18 - 200 for most of my shots and the ones that ended up the best post production were the ones from that lens.

Comment

Working...
                            X